Carvings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIY Stew

Established Member
Reaction score
Here are a couple of carvings my disabled brother has done in Lime. He is very critical of his own work and having tried carving myself (and failed) I think they are very good, what do you think.

He is finding it increasingly difficult to obtain offcuts of lime and has in the past had to buy a huge piece of timber but has problems cutting it into smaller pieces due to his resticted mobility, does anyone know of any suppliers who sell offcuts of Lime especially in North Devon.

He says I must point out that these are all copied from books!!

Cheers

Stew

Attachments

• SDC10393.JPG
    SDC10393.JPG
    199.9 KB · Views: 995
  • SDC10376.JPG
    SDC10376.JPG
    212.8 KB · Views: 995
  • SDC10392.JPG
    SDC10392.JPG
    198.8 KB · Views: 995
They look great, what does he do with them, sell them give them away or keep them
Sorry no help with the lime suppliers

He gives them away to friends and relatives, since his accident he cant do a lot so carving stops him getting bored.
I have told him he should at least charge what he paid for the wood but he said seeing the kids play with them is payment enough.
I know one lady bought him a bottle of wine for a carving of a 'Grumpy Old Man' which she gave to her husband for his 60th birthday, she said it looked so like him.
The thing is he's also a very good oil painter which makes me mad as he's obviously the artistic one of the family.
Glad you like them I'm sure he will be too.

They really are good, i love them!!
has he ever done a mickey mouse at all.... I'd be very very interested in seeing it if so... My partner is mickey mad!

Great carvings! :D I hope your brother keeps it up.
As for lumps of lime. I recently had a branch removed from a tree, Sycamore, in discussion the surgeon said he had air dried lime in his yard. My point is it may be worth ringing local tree surgeons. I would never have thought of it before speaking to this guy.
xy

Thanks everyone for your comments and help, perhaps now he will be less critical of his work, I will get him to email more pictures which I will post here for all to see.

Regards

Stew

As an occasional carver myself I can say that those are pretty damn good!! They have real character and look so natural, I bet they'd make great gifts or even little collector pieces/ornaments, he could work on a whole range of characters! ;)

Hi Stew
Got a bit confused when you said Devon when I know you list your base as my neck of the woods #-o

I've done a fair amount of carving but not had time for a few years and have used various woods though lime is one of my favourites. There are suppliers who would sell online (will do a search when i have time) though the cost could be prohibitive.

Tell him to try other woods and he might get a pleasant surprise.

Oh - btw - tell him to remain self critical as it will motivate him to keep improving on what is already impessive work

cheers

Bob

Stew, I'll echo the compliments on the carvings - your brother's got nothing to be ashamed of there.

As for lime carving blanks, I've bought a few online from Ockenden Timber. They usually have it in different sizes, and pricing and postage seems reasonable to me. Shipping is based on weight limits, so you can often get two or three blanks for the cost of posting just one.

http://www.ockenden-timber.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=89_242_243

Back