Carved Bull's Head in Oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xy mosian

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have recently finished this Bull's head. An imitation of one seen on a gate post near Wakefield. It is somewhat stylised, but I rather like it. I haven't measured the size but can say that the head fits nicely in the hand.
Everything is in Oak except the eyes which are Walnut inserts, and the horns which are Sycamore. The horns were the very devil to hold during carving, still no serious nicks, or blood which would really have been a strange finish.
The finish on the head is hard wax oil, and the finish on the support is a beeswax polish sold to me as Coffin Wax.
I learnt a lot doing this, my first carving of this sort.
Comments please.
xy

Screen Grab copy reduced 2.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Grab copy reduced 2.jpg
    Screen Grab copy reduced 2.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 1,401
Nice to see some carving shown on here. We don`t see much of it on UKW unfortunately.
The carving looks crisply done, well proportioned and all nicely fitted together. Not sure about the eyes, though. They look a bit lifeless and not quite symmetrical to me.
Still, great stuff. Let`s see some more!

Ian

Thanks for those kind words Ian. The image is taken from the best side!
Now I agree about the eyes. I do find getting symmetry spot on to be difficult, much easier on the flat.
Have you any tips to give them more life? Short of embedding flashing red led's of course. Too late for this carving, it is being delivered later today, but for future reference perhaps.

xy

I`m by no means an expert, having only done a very few carvings myself. One way of giving carved eyes some life is to carve a hole to represent each pupil. The shadow created gives the eye a dark centre, sort of like this:

untitled-2.jpg

(It`s a cat`s head, in case you were wondering. :wink: )

Ian

Attachments

• untitled-2.jpg
    untitled-2.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 1,216
Impressed with the bull as a first, I've just started on the carving learning curve, and I'd be very pleased with that. Re, the symmetry, been watching a bit of Ian Norbury on YT [downloaded a couple of tute's as well] and he relies heavily on dividers rotated about the centre line to help. If it's good enough for the likes of him......

I like the cat as well. Lime?

Hi Ian,
I got the Cat and like it. I hope this was intentional but I am drawn to the chubby chops. From the image size is hard to judge, but I am wondering where you managed to get a biggish chunk of Lime.
I had considered that method of defining the pupils, then my thinking head got in the way. I don't recall seeing a cow/bull with well defined pupils and that rather put me off. I suppose there lies the problem with representative art, sounds a bit poncy. Does over emphasis on the pupil, in this case, give a more understandable object? I don't have the answer but perhaps I'll try it next time.

Hi monkeybiter,
I have figured out the root of my symmetry problem. I got carried away in the moment and didn't carve the two sides in balance. This meant I was trying to position the eye on a surface at a different angle. At least that's what I claim threw me. I need more practice.
Ian Norbury has written some very detailed articles in the Woodcarving magazine I must look them up again. I have an excuse to spend some time in YouTube land too.

Thanks for the interest gentlemen,

geoff. a.k.a xy mosian.

xy mosian":2ledliry said:
Ian Norbury has written some very detailed articles in the Woodcarving magazine I must look them up again.

There's a magazine? Might just have to try a copy.

xy mosian":3w2fr4ep said:
Hi Ian,
From the image size is hard to judge, but I am wondering where you managed to get a biggish chunk of Lime.

geoff. a.k.a xy mosian.

I didn`t use a big piece, as you can see. I probably picked it up from John Boddy`s in Boroughbridge, on my travels. They used to stock a large variety of types and sizes of carving blanks.
Not sure what they are like nowadays, as I haven`t been there for a while.
The pic I posted originally was a closeup to illustrate the point I was making about the eyes.
cat-2.jpg

Ian

Attachments

• cat-2.jpg
    cat-2.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 1,101
monkeybiter":1i746cw8 said:
There's a magazine? Might just have to try a copy.
Yup, https://www.thegmcgroup.com/pc/viewCate ... tegory=693 , but before you go spending your money be careful not to get a large collection of read once mags. I need to sort mine. :oops: There is what I suppose is an 'emag' although I'm not too sure just how useful that would be.

I have found this site http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.com/, very useful. Especially when following links from within the forum.

Of course, as you have found, there are woodcarving videos on youtube beyond number. I find that I end up watching more than doing. Although I recently carved a Little Person following a series by 'sharonmyart' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41JmTFjCLPM, not the slickest of presentations, but acceptable. Working at that scale it is easy to clean up and I manage at the desk.

Thanks Ian,
I appreciated the point about the eyes. I was asking about size really being impressed with the quality of the carving of the pupils. Lime is easier at small detail than Oak but still impressive. May I ask what did you use to cut the eyes? The whole piece looks well proportioned. Is the tail added, or did you remove a good deal of wood?
I haven't been to Body's for a while either, I do seem to recall finding their prices a bit high, but had nothing to compare them with. I was looking for a gouge yesterday and came across G&S Timber http://www.toolsandtimber.co.uk/, who sell Lime blanks although I haven't looked into prices yet.

geoff

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for your comments about my carving. It was all carved from one piece, including the tail. I honestly can`t remember exactly which tools I used, as it was carved some time ago. I have a small selection of carving gouges of different sizes and profiles. I suspect a twist drill was used for the eyes`pupils.
I`ve also visited G&S Timber and they had a decent selection of blanks, (and other goodies) although I was mainly focused on turning blanks last time I was there. They seem to be doing carving courses now, so I expect they will have some decent carving blanks too.
Your post has got me thinking I really must do some more carving.
My enthusiasm has been diverted towards woodturning of late. I`ve often thought about incorporating some decorative carving on my turning, but haven`t yet done so. It`s a pity turning gets so much more of the attention on forums, at shows and so on.

Ian

Silverbirch":38qhsuim said:
It`s a pity turning gets so much more of the attention on forums, at shows and so on.

Ian
Hi Ian,
I agree completely, especially about shows. I used to go to the 'Great Northern Woodworking Show'. Sadly I began to come away disappointed that the only real carving presence was the Ashley Iles stand and displays by decoy carvers alongside a local group. Very good carving, but I was left wanting. Great however for Iles tools that didn't make the final output. The last time I was there I bought, at low price, several un-handled shorter tools that had not made the grade. Un-marked but good tools.
I am not sure just what I would like to see really. More retailers of carving gouges, especially the less common ones certainly. They tend to go quickly on the second hand tool stand. The one I was looking for the other day was a v-tool, very common at 60 degrees, more scarce at say 45 degrees, but what a difference in the cut line. I haven't ordered yet but G&S have them at the best price I could find in the UK. I suppose, in terms of shows, demonstrations would be long winded affairs, perhaps too long to hold real interest. Body's used to do short courses with the tutor giving free remonstrations on saturdays, I'm not sure if that still happens.
As for forums. I find the forums attached to the http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.com/ site to be a good source of information. Very good for dipping a toe in now and again. Then again there are good forums associated with netsuke carving. I don't think my eye sight is up to that.

I'm pleased you are thinking of carving again, you obviously have a good eye and hand.

geoff

Back