Car Insurance again.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doorframe

Established Member
Reaction score
It's been done to death, but always worth a reminder.

Got my renewal through from Tesco Car Insurance. £308. Ouch.

Quick go on the comparison websites, with all the exact same specs as my existing insurance, and Tesco comes out at £246.

Call them on their 'secret' alternative number (using Say No To 0870), give them the quote reference from Confused.com, and renewal is done over the phone with £62 knocked off.

Never just accept the renewal.

All I had to do was ask is that the best you can do the renewal price 342.49 on my transit van the young man said hold on I will see what I can do he came back 302.96 I said I will think about it he said hold I will see what I can do
he said if I renew today 288.96 bearing in mind they phoned me and ended up cheaper than last year. And cheaper than comparison websites

£53.53 saving I am glad they called

Van drivers in most cases if you have your wife as a named driver your insurance will be cheaper lucky for me they the never seen SWMBO drive she could beat the Stig :oops:

I rung to inform my agent that the value of my bike had dropped from £7,500 to £6,500, however it had already hit the renewal system so I got a quote for £229. A couple of days later I got the quote with it valued at £6,500 - £239. :? A guy rang me to ask if I was happy to renew, and I said I was surprised that I had a higher quote for the lower value. Are you near a phone for 10mins. he asked, I'll ring you back because that's not right. 10mins. later the phone rings - is £180 OK with you? I'm sure they pluck figures from thin air.

My van insurance has dropped from £1600 to £600 over the last three years. The worst quote I've ever received was over £22,000 for the same van!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I recieved a renewal quote for my car insurance £274.28, went on to the same company web site put in the details off the renewal schedual they sent and low and behold £148.

I hate the high street insurers with a passion. About 4 years ago I used to do a bit of drag racing in a street legal race class. A chevrolet camaro, half tube chassis, roll cage with a 7.2 litre race engine capable of +200mph, a 0-60 time of approx 2.2 seconds, and 8 second quarter mile, taxed and insured and driven on the road (admittedly not a lot at approx 5 mpg!!) I insured that for normal road use with Competition Car Insurance. Fully comp insurance, guaranteed value of £40k (less than it was worth) and it cost me £248 pa. The only proviso is that the vehicle must be a bona fide racecar or support vehicle.

My tow car was a 2005 Mercedes M class 270. top speed around 140 given enough straight road to get it there and 0-60 around 10 seconds. Fully comp insurance and market value payout yet the insurance for that was £650 pa!!!

The last year of ownership I bought an old 2002 7.5 tonne to carry it around in - insurance was under £300 as a support lorry with CCI. My high street insurer wouldn't even touch it.

Its a con, and while I would never consider driving without insurance or condone it, I can understand why some people don't when we realise just how much they rip us off.

All I can say is that you do need an insurer that will pay out. A friend of mine floated £40k of Land Rover discovery in a river after assuming that the depth sign on the ford was missing (not under water as it actually was!) and NFU paid up in full no quibbles. Not sure some of the cheap insurers would have.

Latest posts

Back