Car Boot- Done it again...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scouse

Established Member
Reaction score
My wife just shook her head as I walked toward her from the opposite end of the field with a big grin on my face and a box in my hands. But she could tell. My smile was fixed and apologetic, attempting to hide the shame I secretly felt.

"Why?" she asked, the emotions clear in her sharp, blue eyes.

I desperately tried to think of an excuse. I told her I didn't know what happened. That I just suddenly found the box under my arm, the man on the tool stall forced me to take it, the Devil made me do it, voices in my head, a terrible plague...IT'S NOT MY FAULT I SWEAR!!!

She ignored my protest about it being as new and unused, even the £5 price left her unimpressed.

Her response cut through my like a hot knife. Every word like a nail in my heart; "It's another egg-beater drill, isn't it?"

"Yes Dear."

She pretended to look at a whiskey bottle shaped like a hand-bell.

001-7.jpg

002-9.jpg

004-3.jpg

005-4.jpg

:lol:

I'm lucky that Grace has a similar fetish for old garden tools, so my own indiscretions can be overlooked :mrgreen:

LuptonM":1ti6swa6 said:
Looks unused. Is there actually any point of buying old hand drills though?

I'm quite fond of my Dad's old eggbeater, I use it all the time.

Lots of times I find I need at least three different bits on the go at once - large hole for screw to fit through, small hole for screw to screw in to and a counter sink. Sure saves time changing over.

LuptonM":25aipd0m said:
Looks unused. Is there actually any point of buying old hand drills though?

I don't use any electrically powered tools, everything is by hand so there is a point for me.

Richard T":25aipd0m said:
Lots of times I find I need at least three different bits on the go at once - large hole for screw to fit through, small hole for screw to screw in to and a counter sink. Sure saves time changing over.

That is exactly why I use so many; one has a pilot bit in, another a countersink, another couple have commonly used augers etc.

With a selection of very inexpensive hand drills, the wood's got a hole in it in less time than it takes to put a bit in an electric drill. And they look nice. :mrgreen:

Scouse mate...it's your fault...you started the thread with your beautiful pristine drill...so I have to add my haul to the thread as per the norm...

Last week I was beginning to believe that the tools had all but dried up...in fact..I think I even predicted the end of the season...how wrong can one guy be!?? :oops:

I have to apologise right up front with my £25 haul this week...in fact...I spent £28...but I think I might have been justified...

DSC_0531.JPG

I think Annie's words when we got home and I laid it all out to photograph were something like "Jesus Jimi!!! How the hell did you get that lot without me knowing..I thought you said you only spent £25". I will suffer for that overspend all day now!

So...let's try and work this out...top left...three metal planes...two deliberate Records No 5 1/2 and No 4 1/2 and one a total accident thrown in with the other two...and soon to be thrown in the bin... :oops:

DSC_0534.JPG

The lady wanted three quid each for the Records but I got a bulk discount of all three including the sea anchor for the bargain price of a fiver....and the Record 0 vise was a quid.

I simply could not resist this cleaver...hand made...gorgeous tool steel and Bakelite handles...a quid:

DSC_0537.JPG

Next a wonderful adjustable square with level...all steel and brass...quality made in England...50p! I have always wanted a great condition one of these to replace my rather worn Starrett....

DSC_0538.JPG

Now bevel gauges come and go and I generally ignore them...but firstly because this one was 50p and secondly because it has the best lock mechanism I have ever come across...I could not resist....

DSC_0536.JPG

I think I will replace the wood with rosewood...it is defintely worth it!

Next up...a selection of turning chisels (UPDATE - One is no name and the other is W.Gilpin Cast Steel and has been rehandled)...a M&W clamp...(needing a derust)...two old Marple plastic handle (for now) quality bevel chisels...and a cute tiny King Dick adjustable spanner....

DSC_0535.JPG

Skipping the gem for the moment...something I needed for my photo shoots..a powerful Reflecta lamp with twin halogens and fan..1000W in all...badly damaged...but not restorable...two quid!

DSC_0533.JPG

Now...fairly obviously...I haven't got into lawn bowls...(yet!)...and these were municipal bowls from the Maidstone Bowls Club...all six were covered in black paint to stop them being nicked...and cost me an axe with the guy paying me £5 balance....and guess what...yes they weighed a ton...were obviously not plastic...and when turned...voila!!....

DSC_0539.JPG

Place your orders for KT Tools - LV and yew mallets quickly....before they all get sold...

DSC_0540.JPG

And last but definitely not least...a beautiful brass scientific microscope by the esteemed Cooke, Troughton and Simms of York....

DSC_0530.JPG

Now this has more knobs than the Space Shuttle...and is in superb condition under all the crud...it needs a stand so is a big project...but not unachieveable...and is simply lovely....

The iconic name....

DSC_0532.JPG

...and even a counting head!

DSC_0541.JPG

I knocked him down to £13 from £15....dodgy business with dealers looking over your shoulder but I managed it! 8)

To make it even better....I got the funds from Annie's profits of £120 from more sales of tat from the loft!

I have to keep up the reputation you know Scouse!!! :mrgreen: :wink:

Jim

Nice haul Jim...

Can't say I even know where my nearest Car-Boot sale is... But then I probably wouldn't go, as I already have a car-boot!
I bought two new saws, and two Lignum bowling Woods today! (Pick those up tomorrow, if I have the strength! )
John :)

jimi43":2pc353z2 said:
I think Annie's words when we got home and I laid it all out to photograph were something like "Jesus Jimi!!! How the hell did you get that lot without me knowing...

Forget the reputation, how did you get it all past her? Think I need to work on my ninja skills, and don't smile when she asks what have I got!

Fab haul though Jim as usual, especially Records, vice included.

It was a quarter of the size it usually is today due to looming inclement weather. This is my first year at the car boot sales, and I've begun to look forward to weekend mornings; the question is, what do you do in the winter? Withdrawal symptoms?

You fettle all that you haul...minus the things you want to keep...sell the rest on FleaBay and store yer nuts till the Spring! :mrgreen:

The technique is to return when she's busy with a buyer...always carrier bag the stuff...and don't carry four foot axes...that tends to be a bit too obvious sticking out of the bag! :mrgreen:

Mind you...she was a bit confused when I swapped it for the bowling balls...until she saw the sample turned that is... :wink:

I'm actually more excited by the microscope than the Records...the No.5 1/2 is an old one...the No.4 1/2 is newer but still not plastic...both need some cleaning up to remove surface rust. I got the GTL because it was free but I wanted the Norris type adjuster...but I realised when I got it back to the car...that it didn't have one! Which renders it totally useless! Still...it's not as if I actually bought it!

Glad you're not too miffed mate!

Cheers

Jimi

That is it. I will have to get up of a saturday and go shopping. Bowling balls... brilliant source indeed Jim. And Scouse - frame it, seriously. You can't use that ;)

Scouse, that is a serious drill. My dad had an identical one, and I can remember using it when I was a lot younger.
It will last for ever!

Jimi, I used to think I liked you...

My goodness, Scouse, that's factory fresh! Nice. Slippery slope though, the hand drill one. But then I think you've probably realised that... :lol:

Scouse":2zv2697w said:
With a selection of very inexpensive hand drills, the wood's got a hole in it in less time than it takes to put a bit in an electric drill. And they look nice. :mrgreen:

With a selection of inexpensive electric drills I get the job done twice as quick, and it doesn't look like I have a whisk fetish.

Do you think the guys who used these when they were new were frowned upon by the old boys who used brad punches and nails, maybe they radiated smugness as well.

Scouse that drill's just too nice to use. You'll have to become a collector now :twisted:
Scouse":2gdyqr3u said:
I never bought an eggbeater when I was an apprentice. I later went down the multi-battery drill route (don't ask SWMBO how many power drills I've got - the answer is embarrasing :oops: ). I've lately acquired several eggbeaters but I still have trouble using the damn things: one hand holds the wood and one holds the drill - so how do you turn the ruddy thing? (hammer)

Cheers, Vann.

Vann":lprlzeoy said:
Scouse that drill's just too nice to use. You'll have to become a collector now :twisted:
Scouse":lprlzeoy said:
I never bought an eggbeater when I was an apprentice. I later went down the multi-battery drill route (don't ask SWMBO how many power drills I've got - the answer is embarrasing :oops: ). I've lately acquired several eggbeaters but I still have trouble using the damn things: one hand holds the wood and one holds the drill - so how do you turn the ruddy thing? (hammer)

Cheers, Vann.

I know the feeling Vann, but ain't yer got a vice? That's our third hand innit!

Regards
John

doctor Bob":1d6iqvhh said:
With a selection of inexpensive electric drills I get the job done twice as quick, and it doesn't look like I have a whisk fetish.
Do you think the guys who used these when they were new were frowned upon by the old boys who used brad punches and nails, maybe they radiated smugness as well.

Maybe, but I don't believe I was frowning on anybody, nor do I understand the 'smugness' comment.

Vann":1d6iqvhh said:

Cheers, Vann.

Hi Vann, I fear I am already a collector, as Alf noted I'm already well on the way down that slope! Never mind!

I've never really analysed work holding, I learned in an old workshop with only non-powered tools, a camping stove to heat the animal glue and a couple of lengths of pipe with a blow torch in as bending irons, so it's like second nature to me! I just use hold-downs, the vice, maybe an occasional clamp. I do find being a contortionist is an advantage! I suppose if you are used to having a free hand, they may feel awkward, but I don't suppose it would take long to get used to.

My question now is age? I'm guessing not that old, but the typeface on the box label and the label on the drill looks a bit dated, maybe 60's or 70's? I assume it was made by J.A. Chapman, they made one with their own name on at some point, but when they began using the Stanley name, when they stopped using the Stanley name and when Stanley stopped making this style of drill, I've had no luck. I would have thought the box may be the best clue though.

Back