Car boot 13-07-13

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noggsy

Established Member
Reaction score
I went to another car boot this morning with a view to getting some mortise chisels. Also, in the back of my mind, I was thinking about the hand grinder which I regret not getting last week for £8. Anyway, I found the same one and got the guy down to a fiver;

833c966e3befeeadeca3a5d36dadddf2.jpg

I've yet to try a stone on it and I'm thinking I might need to turn a wooden bush to centralise it, but at least I'm set if the lights ever do go off properly :)

I also got this little mortise chisel for a quid;

6f8da63fb43277a0459af1200fccf581.jpg

which says 'Steers centre' on the handle and 'Made in Wilkington, Sheffield' on the blade.

I also got its big brother for £3;

e1c20d300e56a528bc58d48ab87c4393.jpg

which has an owner's mark (I think), 'G Hambry' on the handle and 'Woseley and Simpson Cast steel' on the blade.

Here it is with a pencil for scale;

14d123d262fba5d7638aaa757d8bce0d.jpg

It's a really big lump of metal and I'm looking forward to sharpening it and maybe replacing the handle, which has got quite a split in it. That said, the handle is a large oak thing which doesn't feel like it is going anywhere.

I also got three augur bits for a quid to use in the brace I got last week;

ceaca3399608892499bad53fafb7a3cc.jpg

Not a bad morning, just a shame I've got to go off to work this afternoon, because I want to play in my shed!

I had been thinking about a hand grinder recently noggsy, it'll be interesting to hear how you get on with it.

I've been playing with the hand grinder I got from a steam fair a while ago and it is so much more controllable heat generating - wise than a bench grinder. Good thing.

That Oak handle - I think it's Ash. :) Does it have a split I can't see or do you mean that chip at the end? If it's just that chip I would leave it, just clean it up a bit. Looks very solid.

Ah, ash, sorry. There's a split down the other side near the blade.

With regards to the grinder, I've taken it apart, cleaned and oiled it and it seems a simple and solid bit of kit. I've got an 8 inch grey wheel from the grinder I've just bought and there is only 3.5mm difference between the hole on the wheel (16.2mm) and the grinder shaft (12.7mm). I've just had a go at turning a bush from mahogany, but I got the internal slightly too small and couldn't get it on the shaft. I might have to ask one of the metalworkers to make me one from alum. Any thoughts on this?

I think a plastic bushing for your grinder might be better, thats what most of what i've come across seem to be on grinders i've bought I asked an engineer to make me a metal one but he reccomended plastic, might have been him looking for the quick way to do the job.

look in here get a 1/2" one and turn down the outside if you want. they look hollow but mine i got were two flat discs basically not the ribbed thing shown.

Don't try this with a power grinder, but one way to 'build up' a bush to centre the grinding wheel would be to wrap a strip of thickish paper or thin card round the shaft, until the hole in the wheel will just ease on.

The comment above about the main hold being by the washers and blotters is quite right, but having something between wheel and shaft to prevent it slipping off-true whilst running at speed (which event might be a tad disconcerting) is probably wise.

For blotters (the paper or thin card discs between the steel washers and the grinding wheel), a bit of breakfast cereal box would be about ideal, soft side to the wheel and printed side to the steel washer. It's to spread the load a bit over the crests of the grit grains, and avoid them crushing and loosening the grip.

Hand crank grinders are great; I recently bought a trio of spare wheels for mine and profiled their edges with a devil-stone to three different radiuses of curve. I can now regrind in-cannel gouges (and irons for hollow planes) very quickly and easily.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try that first and if not, there are a few stones which seem to have the right sized hole. I enjoyed the link Scouse, thanks.

Right, having fettled and messed about about for a couple of days, I've worked out that I need the aluminium bits to grip the stone. The spindle is a mil or two bigger than the part which passes through the stone, where it sticks through the carrier and this stands the stone off the body enough to allow it to turn. I know this, because I got a bigger flat washer to bypass this slight extrusion (as the wheel would not run true) and the wheel would then not turn at all. :oops:

I've taken my RP grinder apart and the wheel fits perfectly and turns like a dream, so that's how I know I need the two large 'washers' for either side of the wheel. Trouble is, I don't know what they're called, so I'm struggling to search online for them - can anyone help?

Back