capacitor goes bang

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markwuzere

Established Member
Reaction score
so there i am machining up some awo for a bed and suddenly after about 30 mins running there is a load bang and my extractor slows down, quickly turned off and i find the end of the housing has blown off and the capacitor has blown its top, now where can i get a replacement without been stiffed by scheppach and why did it happen?
any advise greatly appreciated
Mark
oh and my extractor is a 240v sceppach 3200

workshop010.jpg

workshop011.jpg

workshop012.jpg

Farnell list a 20uF 450V AC capacitor for about £7. Someone that knows about motor capacitorss should confirm it is the right one before you order :)

Capacitors do fail quite regularly but are often self healing - the bit that shorts out burns away and it carries on working.... but not always.

what connections were on the top? is this a three phase machine? we used to sell capacitors with more than one in the tin for machines...

Capacitors are not very expensive and easily obtainable. I bought one for my vac pump for just a few quid from Maplins. I can't remember exactly how much but is was under a fiver, IIRC.

The hardest part was getting the old one out. I struggled. Racers struggled. We both struggled together. Then we found out it simply unscrewed..... :oops:

You have a small problem rather than a big one :)

Cheers
Steve
PS If you do have difficulty sourcing one, give Bob 9Fingers a shout. He's your man and very obliging.

Hi:

This Ebay cap is the same spec. and a fiver delivered:

Bargain.

CPC/Farnel will charge for delivery for orders under £45 or so.

John

Just spoke to Mark, sounded like a bit of an 'exciting' moment.
Exciting in the life flashing before eyes sense :shock:

I now feel somewhat guilty about taking his back up extractor :oops:

Looks like it's not too expensive a fix fortunately.

Qwibble":3eh7zvvu said:
Just spoke to Mark, sounded like a bit of an 'exciting' moment.
Exciting in the life flashing before eyes sense :shock:

I now feel somewhat guilty about taking his back up extractor :oops:

Looks like it's not too expensive a fix fortunately.

all fixed and sorted now, easy cheap fix :lol:

Back