Can't make my mind up

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feders

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am new to ukws, but had read previous posts and you all seem really approachable :D . I am really struggling with deciding a series of equipment i want to buy. I am an oakwright by trade but want to diversify by having a modest workshop to make oak doors and windows etc. I dont want to spend a fortune but need reliabilty.

I have chosen the axminster AW12BSB2 table saw but am stuck these

Axminster AP4300T/1 or Startrite 502E bandsaws

Axminster AW128PT OR Startrite SD300 planer/ thicknessers,

Axminster WS1000TA or Record SM100 Spindle moulder

I know this is a big ask but if anyone could steer me in the right direction i would greatly appreciate it.

Welcome to the forum. Sorry I am not a great machine user so cannot help there. However a question for you. I have not come across the term 'Oakwright' before. I can guess about someone working Oak in some specific way but don't know for sure. Would you explain please?

xy

xy mosian":bebafoby said:
Welcome to the forum. Sorry I am not a great machine user so cannot help there. However a question for you. I have not come across the term 'Oakwright' before. I can guess about someone working Oak in some specific way but don't know for sure. Would you explain please?

xy

Would an Oakwright be someone who makes oak timber framed houses?

Just a thought.

Mick

Hi Mick,

Your right, I restore and build oak framed buildings. Thank you for your interest and honesty about your knowlege on the machine side of things.

Well done Mick =D>. Thank you Feders. Sounds to be fascinating work. Sorry we haven't been able to answer your question yet. I don't doubt you may have more answers than you can throw a stick at soon enough.

xy

Thanks xy, I really enjoy my work. I am sure your right i just have to sit tight.

Hi Feders, sounds a little familiar? 8)

I've not used the startrite stuff, but it is very highly regarded and can't recall reading of anyone having trouble with them. My opinion of axi stuff is very good. Looking at the specs between the two models of bandsaws you've listed the startrite has more power and bigger depth of cut for much the same price.

Re the planers, the startrite has more power, but costs more, has the same width of cut and slightly shorter beds. I have the Axi 128 and it has never struggled with what I've thrown at it. The only downside to these types of P/T is changing between the two functions which is APITA, if you build a big enough workshop and enough cash I'd suggest seperates.

Hi Shane,

Definalty going for the Startright band saw and the 12" saw you got, but went and saw the startrite planer yesterday and am torn., i was on the straight and narrow after talking to you on the phone the other day. What morticer do you use Shane?

I've got the Axi AW19FM, which is the fixed equivalent of the tilting model you mentioned. They are good, with the only issue being that the hold down clamps are not up to the job, I usually add an extra clamp when doing deeper stuff.

Whatever you decide with the planers, i don't think you can go wrong with either.

Cheers shane,

Your right, I think im splitting hairs on the planer front and the startrite is £200 quid more which could be spent on other things!

Have you considered second hand off that well known auction site mate? It may save you a pretty penny. Good stuff comes up quick often as well. Worth a look IMHO.
Cheers _Dan.

goldeneyedmonkey":d68zrl0x said:
Have you considered second hand off that well known auction site mate? It may save you a pretty penny. Good stuff comes up quick often as well. Worth a look IMHO.
Cheers _Dan.

It would be a good idea for the morticer, you'd get a good multico etc for £300 odd

Hi everyone

Appologies for my late reply, i have been working away. I just wanted to say thank you for all your advice on my subject. I made my order yesterday and decided to the push the boat out a little further, i will give you a review on each peice once i have run them for a bit.

Startrite 502e bandsaw,

Startrite sd300 12" planer

Startrite stm25 morticer

Record Power sm100 spindle m

Record ts315 table saw.

Thanks once again everyone.

Hi Feders,

It's been a while since you last posted.

I am looking at buying a Startrite SD300 P / T too.

I was wondering if you had used it for Oak and have any feedback on it's performance.

Many thanks

W.

Back