Can't Decide

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

studders

Established Member
Reaction score
If I like this or not. I look and think.. yeah, that looks OK.... but look again and think.. hmmmmm? At least it takes a nice shaving, even if I did forget to take pics of that.

hockplane3.jpg

hockplane2.jpg

hockplane7.jpg

hockplane6.jpg

It's actually the MK3 version; the Mk1 Ended up in the bin because some silly person forgot to reset the bandsaw table after cutting something else that needed a 12 degree bevel and wondered why his cheeks were miles out. :oops:

This is the MK2 version..
sml_plane2.jpg

Which I ruined after trying to alter it to stop it choking up. In anycase it wasn't really that comfortable to hold.

The blade and chip breaker is an 1.25" Hock that I picked up off t'bay.

So... whaddya reckon? Alright or ugly as sin? Be honest, but be gentle. :D

Thought it was some sort of Mujifang thang at first glance. Is it comfy in the hand?

Tom K":12a6j032 said:
Thought it was some sort of Mujifang thang at first glance. Is it comfy in the hand?
Funny you should say that. :wink:

Recently bought a Muji (as we in 'the trade' know them) and sort of based it on that. It's a lot more comfortable to grip than the MK2 version, plus it doesn't choke up like that did, so I'm happy with how it performs, just not sure on the looks. :-|

My 'Owl' fella got a free pair of slippers along with a Briar pipe he ordered, MkIII looks like one of those slippers :shock:
lol, no, in all seriousness that looks 'classic' , well nice, hard to tell from the pics- is it a 'double'?

A 45° bed on one side of the cross dowel and a steeper angle on the other side, giving a smoother/scraper combination ¿ -would obviously require 2 wedges tho'.

barkwindjammer":3ucc378u said:
A 45° bed on one side of the cross dowel and a steeper angle on the other side....

Ahh yes, of course, I knew that.... :---)

To be honest I've completely forgotten what angles I cut, other than they are not the same; the front being a shallower angle to try to avoid the choking problem I mentioned with the MK2.

Back