Can you remember.....?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cozzer

Established Member
Reaction score
....what you call the game that uses these spinners, please?
I've had 'em in my drawer for 20 years plus, but can't remember what the game was called!
All solid brass, with sides engraved with the likes of "take two" and "put three"....
They sat next to my tinned "Owzthat" cricket game, "Liar Dice" and "Pass the Pigs", all ostensibly bought for the kids when young...
spinners.jpg

Ah! It's OK... Found it!
Unbelievably, "Put and Take"!
Bet that took a while to dream up!

I can remember owzthat, still got the little blue tin in my desk drawer. I think it was a wet playtime at school and winter Saturday game in the late 1950s. Passed the time until the next edition of Eagle came along with its installment of Dan Dare.

I can remember owzthat, still got the little blue tin in my desk drawer. I think it was a wet playtime at school and winter Saturday game in the late 1950s. Passed the time until the next edition of Eagle came along with its installment of Dan Dare.

Liar dice? A bloody treacherous game. The first time I played it in a pub it cost me seven rounds of seven brandies. I got good at it quickly.:)

Here you are, chaps.
Bring you out in a cold sweat, Phil?!

And yes, Richard_C, little blue tins. I remember reading that they were originally made to house gramophone needles, but the game designer bought a job lot of 'em....true or not, no idea.

games.jpg

Been digging further in the drawer....
How many of these damn things have we got?!
Were there that many rainy days?!

games2.jpg

A "fun" game based on cricket, remarkable.
I'll get my coat :)

That's nothing!
There's even a Subbuteo cricket game up in the attic somewhere, and I know we once bought a similar "board" game direct from/endorsed by Lords.
(Up the steps, turn left at Cluedo, and look behind the Monopoly box!)

Subbuteo rugby version, with the random scrum machine. Never got hang of it.

Down here at Bovey Tracey there is the marble museum and they sell imported games made in China I think , many from my childhood and tons of alleys worth a visit if you are down this way and it's free to enter and you can watch glass blowing too ps if you do visit look out for the marble run using snooker balls

Down here at Bovey Tracey there is the marble museum and they sell imported games made in China I think , many from my childhood and tons of alleys worth a visit if you are down this way and it's free to enter and you can watch glass blowing too ps if you do visit look out for the marble run using snooker balls
Been there. It's a fantastic place 'house of marbles' isn't it called. On the subject of Monopoly. My partner and her daughters were playing it. I didn't want to. After they had dished the money out. I had an Idea and took £500 off each of the four of them as a 'consultant's' fee. Then I went to sleep for an hour. I had another £500 off each at the end of the game. and I won!

Many hours of my childhood were spent watching the giant marble run there, I'll have to go back some time to see if it's as big or as good as I remember, it's only 20 minutes up the road but haven't been there in years!

The glassblowing is fascinating. I was suprised at the marble making machine, ssems obvious once youve seen it.
Im pretty sure the guy who made the marble run actually lives / lived on the moors and had a couple of pieces in the mad museum in Stratford upon Avon

Years ago on a visit to Hamleys they had a "big big loader" on display. A track with various towers, runs and so on, and a little battery powered truck that scoops up balls and drops them at one end, then trundles round and picks them up again after they have been through all the various runs and deposits them back at the beginning. We bought this for my son, who was about 5 at the time. Still comes out occasionally and still good fun to watch it going round and round.

Back