Can you ID this wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregmcateer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,
In my new role as local scavenger, I came across this. I have photo'd the leaves as well, which may help.
Seems a bit Ash-like, though leaves more delicate. There were some small white flowers on the tree, but too high to come out on photo.

2011-09-06-MSP-branch.jpg

2011-09-06-MSP-leaves.jpg

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Greg

Hi guys,
I feel Ash, too, though definitely the 'standard' normal type.

I'll let it dry and turn off the bark to have a gander at the wood, then if still undure, bang up another picture.

Thanks for your input.

Greg

My instant reaction was ash too, but there's something niggling me about the shape and colour of those leaves and of the young stems. Ash stems/petioles are usually a much more grey green than those appear in the picture. But can't place what other timber it might be with that bark.

I think what you have there is possibly privet (Ligustrum Vulgare). The trunks of these can be up to 4" dia. You mentioned small white flowers, the tree looks quite messy in growth. If it is privet the wood will be white and waxy, and makes good arrow/spear shafts...bosshogg :)

:?: :?: :?:
Dogwood :!: :!: :!:
You can tell by its ............................................................................................Bark :lol: #-o #-o #-o

Just had a look at the leaves on the large Ash tree at the back of our house and I'm now inclined to agree with some of the others on here that it's not ash, any chance of a pic of the flowers Greg ?

Steve :)

I pretty certain it isn't ash. the leaves are wrong. Privet has rounder leaves and a sickly smell when in flower. It could be some kind of laurel with hose thick leaves but there are so many I wouldn't like to say from a photo. cut a piece off and turn it, see what the wood is like.

pete

Hi Guys,
Firstly, thanks for all your input. I'll try to get out there in the morning and get a photo of the flowers.

Psyman, thanks for the link - that looks damn handy!

I am pretty sure it's not privet - the tree must be over 10m high.
and I don't think Rowan - too big and all the others around here are already in fruit.
Pete, the only laurel I know of has much darker, (almost black) bark - Are there other kinds?
Walnut, you reckon, gnu? Now that could be interesting - If we don't get to the bottom of it before fruit time, I'll check it again.

I'll chop a bit off and spin it up, so you can get a look at the grain and end grain, (though don't expect a masterpiece just yet!!)

Cheers,

Greg
PS Had another look at the leaves and False Acacia is my current favourite. See what the photo brings tomorrow.

Back