Can you ID this lathe?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterBassett

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi.

Could anyone help me out and identify this lathe please? Just knowing the make would help.

Thanks!

Pete

5cf3tg.jpg

it looks like a nutool to me - its one of the chiwanino rip offs of the Axminster M900 - the axi 900 was a good lathe so this should be likewise assuming the engineeering is up to scratch.

The label on the front that says NuTool is a bit of a giveaway really.

If they are still trading NuTool are at:-

Rockingham Way, Redhouse Interchange, Adwick-le-Street, Doncaster, South Yorkshire DN6 7FB

Tel: 01302 721791

Brittleheart":1ag3dypx said:
The label on the front that says NuTool is a bit of a giveaway really.

Well yes, but only if you've seen one of those labels up close before and so already know what it says. I don't believe for a second you can actually read that on the posted picture!

Or are you Lee Majors? :lol:

True Peter, I have seen NuTool labels before so I knew what I was looking at. Given that a new Axminster 900 is just over £200, and the NuTool is a rather poorer quality clone I wouldn't pay more than £50 for a second hand one.

Actually on second thoughts, I wouldn't pay anything for one, and if someone gave me one I would put it on e-bay in the hope that someone would be daft enough to pay me for it and take it away.

Ah, well thats fairly damning.

Hows this sound :

1 POS ( :oops: ) lathe
9 assorted Robert Sorby tools
1 Delta dust extrator (Steel Bucket Type)
1 Air Shield Resporator
1 Chuck
11 turning blanks.
basically, most of what you see in that photo.

£500? I made the total of that lot to be about £850 new.

Pete

Sorry if this appears to be negative but if the air shield respirator is the older type and not the newer air shield pro then they are being discontinued due to H&S rules and Trend will not be supplying replacement filters after 2010.

Delta kit has not been on sale in UK for some time so again replacement filters etc may be an issue.

I would need to know make of chuck before I could comment further on that.

The Sorby tools are probably OK depending on how much use they have had.

Sounds like someone is trying to palm off a lot of dubious kit for a lot of money.

I tend to concur with brittle heart - I sold my axminster M900 to olly for 75 notes and i would expect a nu tool clone to be a lot less.

I also recently picked up a record DX5000 extractor - which is considerably better than the delta for 90 notes

and the airshield as B/H says is probably of the earlier type shortly not to be supported by trend

I would expect the chuck to be the chinese knock off of the axminster clubman as that is what was bundled with these lathes

and the turning tools sorby are a good make but how used are they ?

also i dont see an outboard turning rest in the pic and without one the swivel head will be about as useful as a chocolate fireguard.

and finally the pressed steel stands on these are often about as stable as a celebrity mariage - to an extent thats true of the axi too but the clones are largely worse.

on the whole my advice would be to give this the swerve, i'd look out for something like an axminster 900 or 950 on ebay - or if you must buy a clone the perform ones which were imported by axminster themselves.

Come to that if you have 500 notes to spend you could do worse than buying a 900 new from axminster for 200 and spending the other 300 on a versa chuck from tool post, a set of turning tools and a decent dust mask (you wont get an airshield on that budget but you can get almost the same level of protection with one of those 30 quid vitrex masks from axminster plus a bog standard face sheild. )

What ever name it has on it. It is a Chinese standard clone available all round the turning world under many different names. Available here in Australia under at least 1/2 dozen different names

Quite well designed but usually poorly executed when it comes to manufacture. However having said that, its a good low cost entry level lathe for a beginner.

Before you buy check the variable speed pulleys and belt they are known to chop out belts due to rough castings. Quite often the camlock to the head will not hold the head firmly and at times the motor will foul your work piece.
The motor will run hot, darn hot and early ones came with a 1/2hp motor. Later models 1hp with cooling fins. Known to blow capacitors from time to time, not a big expense but sure is a nuisance

Latest posts

Back