Can you help ID this lathe manufacturer?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomsk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Can anyone help identify this lathe manufacturer? I can't get a full picture of the machine at the moment as it's buried at the back of the garage under a boat I'm building. I't one I was given a few years ago but have had no time to start considering until now.

2011-08-05%25252020.23.52.jpg

Mod Edit:-- to correct image link, must be a recognized image file not a database link. CHJ

If the image doesnt show the full link is: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/w ... directlink

I think the logo says Ortan. Having searched the net and lathes.co.uk etc I can find no reference to it. The whole machine seams fairly similar in size and design to an Arundel E5.

Thanks

Tom

Can't lay my hands on a relevant copy immediately, but Ortan Lathes from somewhere near Norwich used to advertise in Woodworker. I'd guess it was back in the 1970s, and they probably survived into the '80s. Will have a hunt through my old Woodworkers sometime to see if there is any more information.
But I've certainly never seen one "in the metal"

Hi Dick

That's great - you seem to be the only person on earth that has heard of them - which really does surprise me! The machine seems quite well made - I hope to be able to resurrect it.

Many thanks

Tom

Latest posts

Back