Can you buy wooden chisel handles these days?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bugbear":38iin3b1 said:
I do have some modern, mass produced chisels - for when extant wood with dirt and paint on needs to be worked :)

BugBear
Do you do this often then?
Do you save the others for non extant wood?

bugbear":1cf70huc said:
The modern, mass manufactured chisels generally perform poorly in both initial edge, and edge retention, compared to some older brands. In particular (to pre-empt the next obvious question), I would rate I. Sorby, Ibbotson and Ward + Payne as excellent.

BugBear
Glad you put that caveat in there BB, 'cos that's not my experience. The Swedish CI Fall chisels that Matthew sells are really excellent, as are the Bacho's and the now no longer obtainable Sheffield made Footprints. The LV chisels with the yellow acetate handles are simply outstanding. I'll agree that the 'run of the mill' Chiwanese offerings are made from something akin to a decent cheddar cheese.
There are good new chisels around, but you have to know what they are - Rob

woodbloke":aze9a1gy said:
bugbear":aze9a1gy said:
The modern, mass manufactured chisels generally perform poorly in both initial edge, and edge retention, compared to some older brands. In particular (to pre-empt the next obvious question), I would rate I. Sorby, Ibbotson and Ward + Payne as excellent.

BugBear
Glad you put that caveat in there BB, 'cos that's not my experience. The Swedish CI Fall chisels that Matthew sells are really excellent, as are the Bacho's and the now no longer obtainable Sheffield made Footprints. The LV chisels with the yellow acetate handles are simply outstanding. I'll agree that the 'run of the mill' Chiwanese offerings are made from something akin to a decent cheddar cheese.
There are good new chisels around, but you have to know what they are - Rob

Agreed - I meant the Irwin Marples, Stanley, type stuff.

Let alone Wickes, Am-Tech, Silverline et al.

BugBear

Eric The Viking":33y4ccc5 said:
but I got a nice mirror finish on the business end of the Marples ones with the mop on my grinder,

Eric this is not a very good idea IMHO.

Flat & scratch free is what you are striving for - mops won't achive flat

lurker":338zok5t said:
Eric The Viking":338zok5t said:
but I got a nice mirror finish on the business end of the Marples ones with the mop on my grinder,

Eric this is not a very good idea IMHO.

Flat & scratch free is what you are striving for - mops won't achive flat

Understood. It was really about getting n+ years of grime off first before starting proper sharpening. I wasn't attempting a shortcut, honest!

I'm fuming though: Royal Mail parcels shoved a non-delivery note through the door this morning while I was out - the four other people in the house all say they never heard the bell. Since our local sorting office shuts at lunchtime, I now have to wait until tomorrow before collecting all the wet+dry and the Axminster grinding jig I'd ordered.

Why do they do this? It's not the first time either. Ho hum...

Back in the 60's I bought a set of 5002 and a few years ago inherited my fathers 5001's - all I can say is that they must have come off a different production line as the steel in them is rubbish at retaining an edge.

I also inherited quite a collection of old stuff, some which had seen better days but a small set of Ward Paynes and a few others including some Addis are made of very good iron.

oldchisels1yb8.jpg

wardpayneuf3.jpg

addiswm1.jpg

Rod

Harbo":2hrdph0y said:
Back in the 60's I bought a set of 5002 and a few years ago inherited my fathers 5001's - all I can say is that they must have come off a different production line as the steel in them is rubbish at retaining an edge.

I also inherited quite a collection of old stuff, some which had seen better days but a small set of Ward Paynes and a few others including some Addis are made of very good iron.

I bet you enjoy using them too.

I get a bit sentimental about old tools, probably daftly so. I haven't got that many that might be thought of as proper 'family heirlooms', but even with stuff I've acquired down the years, it's nice to feel you're following in a creative tradition.

What it's all about really.

Latest posts

Back