Can you become an apprentice later in life?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Barto

👍
Reaction score
When I finished school at 16 I wanted to become a carpenter but was 100% not up for going to college, even the one or two days a week it involved. A shame really but I've often wondered about doing it. Is it even possible when you're past a certain age (I'm 29 for example)?

While I enjoy teaching myself, the idea of being in a workshop with someone to guide you sure is appealing.

Not to mention I very much dislike my current job.

Food for thought I suppose.

Can you afford to be an apprentice?

I think the problem you'll have is trying to find someone to take you on, being over 25 I think they'll have to pay the living wage. Maybe wrong though.

Gary, I'm not sure if I could afford it. My work is very flexible, I really just pick and choose when I want to do it so I'd probably supplement it that way.

To be honest I'm not that interested in private short or long courses. The problem with private courses like those above is that they're very expensive and I imagine they're to be paid up front. You also don't receive a qualification (as far as I'm aware). The qualification I'm not too fussed about in general but if you're essentially studying for a trade for a year, I personally would like to leave qualified. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they're excellent courses and undoubtedly you'd learn as much as you would as a traditional apprentice, but I think the environment would be different. It'd be more interesting to be in an actual workshop day in day out, rather than always in a classroom type of environment.

It's not something I'm seriously thinking. But if there was a legitimate way into it, the traditional route, I'd certainly give it serious thought. Hence the post here to more knowledgable folks who may have gone down the same path.

El Barto":37plo315 said:
It's not something I'm seriously thinking.

Then you won't suceed. I seriously went the other way from a construction job to computing. I was 29. At your/that age you have to be serious it was very hard work. I am just trying to wind the computing side down and get back to working with my hands again. At 63! :) you are never too old!

Go through the phone book, write a form letter with your hopes and experience, stating you are willing to work for minimum wage while learning.
send a copy to every single company in the book. A week later, phone each one and make a nuisance of yourself.
You have to prove to the company you are not a time waster and are serious.
expect at least 95% refusals. Expect to lose at least 95% of any interviews you get.
Persevere and it will come right in the end.

Thanks for the tips guys but what I'm getting at is... is it legitimately possible to do? Do colleges accept older students the same way they accept those fresh out of school? Of course there are mature students but does that apply to apprenticeships? As far as I'm aware (but could be wrong), you have to first be employed as an apprentice before you can apply for the college side of it. Is that the case? Do apprenticeships exist without the college counterpart?

I think you get the place first then look for the employment.

Unfortunately over 24, the course has to be paid for and its a few k from memory.

Carpentry is the term for a career on site. If that is what interests you then I would suggest doing some work for a builder or team of Chippies and learn on the job for a year or so. That way you will learn what type of work you like, 1st fix, 2nd fix, kitchens, cut roofs etc.

I'm pretty sure it's not necessary to hold a woodworking apprenticeship in order to enrol on a C&G course in cabinet making or joinery. I've met several C&G students who were employed in non-woodworking fields while they trained as furniture makers.

Many C&G courses are described as full time, when they're actually only perhaps two days per week at college, this allows someone to continue in employment while still completing their training. The time at college is overwhelmingly spent on practical projects rather than academic studies, so don't let that put you off.

Just be aware that not all C&G courses are at the same standard. For example at one end of the spectrum there are the highly regarded furniture making C&G courses at Chichester, or at the London Building Trades College in Stratford. At the other end though you'll find demotivated teachers doing a pretty pathetic job in underfunded colleges, with couldn't care less students chucking tools around and vandalising each others work. It pays to make detailed enquiries before enrolling!

Thanks fellas, all useful info.

Custard, the reason I thought you first had to be employed is because I was looking at courses on the Chichester website (like this one) where it says:

Entry Requirements: To be an apprentice you must be employed in an industry to cover the requirements of the framework. An initial discussion will be undertaken with the Course Leader to ensure the appropriateness of the course for each individual.

Although maybe I'm misunderstanding that???

Ps. Should have been more clear with my terminology. When I was 16 I wanted to be a carpenter; I didn't know a carpenter was different to a cabinet maker y'know. Now though I'd be much more interested in cabinet making and furniture.

I think you should do a bit more on your own first barto, try getting some books and being methodical and pumping out some projects once your bench is finished, you might surprise yourself.

thetyreman":14gnpfn2 said:
I think you should do a bit more on your own first barto, try getting some books and being methodical and pumping out some projects once your bench is finished, you might surprise yourself.

Yes I think you're right. It's definitely something I'm interested in but perhaps not something I'm ready to commit to yet.

But the information and research is useful nonetheless!

El Barto":i8ao7lva said:
Custard, the reason I thought you first had to be employed is because I was looking at courses on the Chichester website (like this one) where it says:

Entry Requirements: To be an apprentice you must be employed in an industry to cover the requirements of the framework. An initial discussion will be undertaken with the Course Leader to ensure the appropriateness of the course for each individual.

Barto, I think the course you've linked to a specific training programme just for apprentices. However, I think Chichester has a much wider range of furniture making training programmes than this.

custard":280h74g1 said:
El Barto":280h74g1 said:

Barto, I think the course you've linked to a specific training programme just for apprentices. However, I think Chichester has a much wider range of furniture making training programmes than this.

I will delve deeper into their website!

El Barto":1pc6d7ou said:
Gary, I'm not sure if I could afford it. My work is very flexible, I really just pick and choose when I want to do it so I'd probably supplement it that way.

To be honest I'm not that interested in private short or long courses. The problem with private courses like those above is that they're very expensive and I imagine they're to be paid up front. You also don't receive a qualification (as far as I'm aware). The qualification I'm not too fussed about in general but if you're essentially studying for a trade for a year, I personally would like to leave qualified. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they're excellent courses and undoubtedly you'd learn as much as you would as a traditional apprentice, but I think the environment would be different. It'd be more interesting to be in an actual workshop day in day out, rather than always in a classroom type of environment.

It's not something I'm seriously thinking. But if there was a legitimate way into it, the traditional route, I'd certainly give it serious thought. Hence the post here to more knowledgable folks who may have gone down the same path.

I hadn't spotted you were in North Devon until read your reply - honestly if I lived in Devon I would go over and see the David Savage workshops at Shebbear -- they are not cheap I know, but I suspect the quality of the work they turn out if higher than any local FE college C&G course will ever teach you how to do (FE colleges have been nearly destroyed in my area by years of underfunding) - people travel from Canada... to do his courses - that tells me something.

Good luck anyway -- I wanted to be a cabinetmaker once, chose physics instead and after 38 years in computing am now starting to make more stuff in wood (and have joined Amersham Men's Shed to meet some woodworkers)

Freddyjersey2016":1hyfxto3 said:
El Barto":1hyfxto3 said:

I hadn't spotted you were in North Devon until read your reply - honestly if I lived in Devon I would go over and see the David Savage workshops at Shebbear -- they are not cheap I know, but I suspect the quality of the work they turn out if higher than any local FE college C&G course will ever teach you how to do (FE colleges have been nearly destroyed in my area by years of underfunding) - people travel from Canada... to do his courses - that tells me something.

Good luck anyway -- I wanted to be a cabinetmaker once, chose physics instead and after 38 years in computing am now starting to make more stuff in wood (and have joined Amersham Men's Shed to meet some woodworkers)

Thanks for the link. I'm actually moving away from Devon in the next month or so so it's not going to be practical unfortunately. Not to mention the cost is absolutely astronomical!!!

Let me know if you find anything. I'm 26 and I've found that apprenticeships for adults are almost non-existent. Much cheaper for employers to hire a 16 year old who still lives at home and who they can hammer in to shape than an adult.

I managed to change career in my late 30's, I also looked into apprenticeships at the time but no one wanted to know. Luckily my misses had a well paid job so I could afford to work less and put myself though college. You will find that furniture & cabinet making courses tend to attract more mature students, and carpentry/ joinery courses mostly seem to be school leavers, at least that's how it was at City of Bristol college where I went.
Good luck, it's never too late!

Woodmonkey":3vw66zia said:
I managed to change career in my late 30's, I also looked into apprenticeships at the time but no one wanted to know. Luckily my misses had a well paid job so I could afford to work less and put myself though college. You will find that furniture & cabinet making courses tend to attract more mature students, and carpentry/ joinery courses mostly seem to be school leavers, at least that's how it was at City of Bristol college where I went.
Good luck, it's never too late!

Thanks Woodmonkey. How did the career change go if you don't mind my asking? Which course did you go for?

BearTricks - I will def let you know if I get any more info that could be of use to you. I do believe that if you're really committed there are apprenticeships out there, as has been mentioned before. I suppose that for the prospective older apprentice, we are much less visible to potential employers than a school leaver.

Back