Can I use general PVA for laminating mdf and ply together ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boxer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there

I am gradually working my way through my first project .... a workbench build
Starting to think about the bench top now. What I am considering is laminating sheets of mdf and ply together..... specifically two sheets of 18mm mdf with a sheet of 18mm ply in between them.
My reasoning is that all together this should give me a good solid and heavy worktop that gives good stability. That and the fact that I am trying to build as much as possilbe out of my existing timber store and so keep the cost down.

I have a tub of Wickes PVA adhesive sitting on a shelf and I am wondering if this would be suitable for gluing the ply to the mdf sheets.
What do people think ?

Cheers
Chris

If you wanted to join MDF to ply this should work just fine. You could apply with a mini gloss roller for a nice quick even coverage. Make sure you have nice flat level area to glue up, plenty of clamps for the edges and some heavy weights for the middle.

With regards clamping, I'd opt for temporary screws instead of cramps. Drill pilots through the bottom two layers, and use penny washers and 2" mdf screws to pull the sandwich together

You might want to thin the PVA slightly by adding about 10% water by volume, otherwise you may find it hard to get a consistent spread even with a roller.

I second the screw idea by the way, no need for clamps.

Back