Can I use car wax on wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bristol_Rob

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been using Alfie Shine Hard Wax over my shellac finish and love it.

But I was wondering what would happen if I used some quality (Auto Glym) car polish. I have so much of that stuff, it just made me wonder. I think the products of that ilk are a liquid form of carnauba waxes and resins.

I will do some testing. Just wondered if enyone has tried this 🤷

For what it's worth, my car polish is carnauba wax, the wife's furniture polish is carnauba wax, and the mold release I use on bare wooden mock ups when fibreglassing is also carnauba wax. Can't see why it shouldn't be ok for your application.

For what it's worth, my car polish is carnauba wax, the wife's furniture polish is carnauba wax, and the mold release I use on bare wooden mock ups when fibreglassing is also carnauba wax. Can't see why it shouldn't be ok for your application.
In reference to the OP's original question, he likes to use carnauba wax over his shellac finishes. I have checked out the three waxes mentioned in my preceding post and none of them contain silicone or any other additive except for the child bride's furniture wax which contains a 'gloss enhancer.' So if his car polish is silicone free carnauba wax then I think he will be fine with it for his application.

I've been using Alfie Shine Hard Wax over my shellac finish and love it.

But I was wondering what would happen if I used some quality (Auto Glym) car polish. I have so much of that stuff, it just made me wonder. I think the products of that ilk are a liquid form of carnauba waxes and resins.

I will do some testing. Just wondered if enyone has tried this 🤷
Auto Glym is used by a luthier on Youtube to finish his french polished guitars. I used it to finish my repolished guitar and recommend it highly.

Back