Can I leave a book review Chris Tribe's Complete Woodworking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Journeyman_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, long time since I posted but I do visit and check up on whats going on. I still haven't finished my Roubo but I am further down the road than I was but I haven't posted any pictures. Not much time left when an 18month old is running round.

Anyway, my wife ordered me Chris Tribes book for my birthday, I have done some courses in the past and I always felt comfortable with his style of teaching. He is straight forward, laid back and good at his work.

I always groan when the wife buys me anything related to woodwork because I am so picky but I am genuinely impressed by his book. His personality comes out on the page, he covers all the basics such as choosing wood, cutting, prepping sharpening tools but he also covers some really complex stuff with the veneering and finishing. Its a cracking reference book that I have been back to a few times to check my technique was just right.

However I think the unique thing about this book is the clinic section. Every other book I have read seems to proceed on the premise that no mistakes are made and there is no mention of how to correct them or the pitfalls. Chris has addressed this and it reminds me of the pressure points on Masterchef. These are the things that can go wrong, this is what you have to watch out for and here is how you correct it. Its so simple that its obvious this should be there.

I do think that you can't beat someone watching you work but if you cannot attend his courses, this is the very next best thing. I have my book in the workshop with me (as opposed to the bookshelf in the office) and refer to it when I am pondering on how to approach a task.

Anyway, Happy Christmas you lot.

As me old Dad used to say, if you want to find out about anything, you'll find the answer in a book!
That's my excuse when the family moan about my plethora of books. (Not my daughter though. She caught the bug when she was a toddler.)

I have this book on the xmas list, hopefully the gf gets it for me. I'd like to attend one of his courses in the new year if time and money allow for it.

I have been on a few of Chris' courses a few years ago now and they are excellent. His furniture designs are really very elegant and functional. I made a beautiful enclosure and two dovetailed piston fit drawers on my last visit and they have pride of place on my desk. The courses are well run, are full on and hard work but you will create things you didn't know you could.

He is genuine bloke and a really patient teacher, even when things go badly wrong with a students work.

You won't regret the investment of time as he has plugged some major holes in my skill set through his courses.

The book is also really really good. I was surprised how good it was (hope he isn't reading this!)

Happy Christmas to you all.

Best regards

David

Chris Tribe's book is now on Amazon.

Good luck with the sales Chris, hope it makes the bestsellers list!

Just bought it :)

That will keep me quiet for a while :D

Thanks for taking time to post a review journeyman. I didn't even know it existed before then.

Thanks for the kind words chaps, I hope you find the book useful. I wonder if any of you have read the small print in the credits on the last page, I thought not! It mentions there that there is a resources page herehttp://www.christribefurniturecourses.com/complete-woodworking The page holds additional elements for the book such as sketchup drawings of the projects and a chapter on design which was cut due to space limitations.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I hadn't noticed that but there are a few things I am going to have a crack at and those resources will help no end.

Happy Christmas

Thanks for pointing that out Mr Teroo, I hate long url's, I've corrected the post.

I hope you found the resources page interesting. I'm hoping it will develop as more people find it.

Chris

Nice one. That's my Christmas present from the family sorted. :ho2

Hoping some of the least subtle hinting in history will result in me finding a copy under the tree next week [-o<

Terry.

My copy arrived this morning. £9.54 for a hardback book of this quality is amazing.

Very well produced with excellent photographs & diagrams.

You have every right to be very proud of this book Chris.

I'm a bit p.... off about this! I only get is at authors discount for £11 so how are they selling it for £9.54? And what chance do book shops have (remember them)?Stiff letter to publisher methinks.

Chris

Back