Can anyone recommend a benchtop pillar drill for hinges??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olivetree

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a pillar drill for drilling 35mm hinges in doors. Can anyone recommend a good value drill, don't know where to start theres that many out there!!!

I plan to do quite alot so the router isn't really an option. I've read that some of the axminster pillar drills are not very accurate but how accurate does it have to be for hinges??

I use a performance power cheapo job from B and Q but I use a really good bit and keep it sharp. Works for me. Hope this helps.
All the best
Rob

olivetree":duuugjmw said:
I've read that some of the axminster pillar drills are not very accurate but how accurate does it have to be for hinges??

I'm not sure what you mean, as your can buy anything from axminster from a cheap bench top to a top of the range one. How accurate depends on how much you want to spend.

For door hinges thou accuracy isn't really a massive requirement as with euro hinges there is adjustment that you usually have to do for your doors no matter how good a fit they are in the cup.

olivetree":ln3gvjl0 said:
Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a pillar drill for drilling 35mm hinges in doors. Can anyone recommend a good value drill, don't know where to start theres that many out there!!!

Mine is a s/h meddings. and this jig drilling-kitchen-cupboard-doors-t48337.html
The Meddings is an excellent bit of kit though no one came up with a decent permanent jig for me so guess I'll probably use what I've got

better quality s/h than poor new IMO

cheers

Bob

Back