Can anyone identify this wood for me?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YouSpinMeRightRound

Established Member
Reaction score
For once this isn't a test. It's softwood, felled by builders nearby to put up apartments. Bark is yellowish, wood is pale (darker when burnished) with pores at the darker boundaries between rings. There's a very soft pith in the centre - you could remove it with a matchstick.

Incidentally, I think the dark circle in the third picture is from the skew rubbing and heating as I finished the shape. Can anyone confirm or reject this?

There's not much to go on, but I would agree with Bern, Sycamore seems the most likely candidate. Although it is fairly soft to cut, it is a hardwood by definition.

KimG":2p6n6y9z said:
There's not much to go on, but I would agree with Bern, Sycamore seems the most likely candidate. Although it is fairly soft to cut, it is a hardwood by definition.
Thanks to both of you! I assume you mean the tree we call sycamore in Europe?

Is there something different I could do to make this (and future woods) easier to identify?

Looks like Sycamore to me. It's treated as a weed here as we get seedlings springing up all the time from the wind blown seeds coming from a 40' tree in a garden a few houses away.

Given the look of the open pores in the 3rd picture and the bark in the first I'd say that this is a young ash. The bark doesn't look smooth enough to be sycamore

I can't see the image in enough detail to see the pore structure Duncan, you got better eyes than me :) But the thinking on it, the fairly large pith is more in tune with Ash, as I said in my initial post, not much to go on, some sharper images of the clean end grain and a view of the side grain on the sphere would be helpful too

for a while I wasn't sure about this, and still aren't. didn't really believe it was sycamore, almost willow but too well defined annual rings. so young ash gets my vote.

had a choice today to start something in ash or oak. Foolishly I plonked for oak and it is proving to be very hard :(

ATM waiting for the drill bit to cool down before it spoils the hardening.

Latest posts

Back