Camvac dust extractors...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roombacurious

Established Member
Reaction score
I was wondering, is there anyone from Camvac watching this forum? It's just that I was browsing their web site today and I found some of their claims so hard to swallow I'd love to have a chat with them (yes, I know, I can always call them :roll: )

In particular:

1) Filtration: They claim their filters are good down to 0.5 microns. They may well be, no dispute there. However their best triple motor 3300w unit according to their specs has a flow of about 330cfm - 220 for the double motor and 110 for the single. This is hardly enough for chip extraction (see Bill Pentz's site) which requires about 350cfm. Camvacs don't seem to suck enough air ever for descent chip extraction, let alone fine dust! For fine dust you need about 1000cfm... So, the filters may be great but their potential is wasted as these vacuums can't move enough air to catch the fine dust these filters are supposed to deal with. From an air quality point of view it would probably have been the same even if the filters were 5 micron rated instead of 0.5.

2) NVT design: That's utter nonsense. The neutral vane design applies to cyclones and Camvacs are not cyclones.
Basic theory: A cyclone works by separating particles in an air vortex. At the bottom of the vortex (where air flow is reversed) gravity draws particles into the trash can. The reason properly designed cyclones are so tall is that they need to have enough height to accommodate the whole vortex. If this is not the case then the bottom of the vortex is in the trash can lifting all the rubbish up and through the impeller. This defeats the purpose of having a cyclone in the first place.
To come back to neutral vanes, the idea is that you adjust the air inlet length and position so that you avoid turbulence in the cyclone. This makes sense only if you have a properly designed cyclone and want to further improve separation by reducing turbulence. Camvacs, a) are not cyclones, b) their cans are so short it's impossible for anything to settle at the bottom with the motor on.

Practical example: I've been experimenting with a garden vac and a trash can, very roughly imitating Camvac's design (garden vac on top of the lid sucking air through a hole in the lid, inlet on the side). My garden vac has an 1800w motor and moves 350cfm according to specs. I've used no filters to avoid reducing the air flow and was venting outside. Well, with a 100mm inlet the full size 80lt trash can was constantly being scoured clean, all the dust getting sucked up and sprayed outside. What does this mean? Just that if you want 350cfm at high pressures (just as Camvac does) you need something bigger than a trash can if you want anything to settle at the bottom.

Camvac have a good reputation for reliability and this cannot be denied. But I feel their advertising and presentation of their products is very misleading. What they really are is plain vacuum cleaners with good filters, no more, no less. They don't seem to have enough air flow even for chip collection let alone taking advantage of the 0.5 micron filtration. The so-called NVT design makes no sense and seems just a marketing trick.

As some of you already know I don't work for any competitors or have a grudge against Camvac. In fact competitive machines such as Axminster's WV series are of similar design and what I've mentioned applies to them too. I'm sure Camvacs are well made machines that last for years. However the manufacturer should be honest about what they sell and woodworkers should know what they're really buying.

I'm no engineer, I'm just a doctor who's done a bit of research and experimentation. So Camvac, if you're reading, please get one of your engineers to help me out here: where am I wrong and most importantly, why should I pay £400 for one of your vacs? :?:

Camvac systems are indeed high vacuum pressure low volume systems as are alot of dust extractors on the markets such as those from record and Axminster. They all could be termed a vacuum cleaner with good filtration thats all they are. They are however design for longer use than the average Vac. Camvacs will work all day if given a 15 minute break every 3 hours.

I do have one question what is a neutral vane fan. Having looked on google I am pretty sure that these are not exclusive to cyclones a cyclone is merely the method of separation of particles by a vortex an has very little to do with the fan itself.

As for chip extraction for planers the best systems are low vacuum pressure high volume systems, but camvacs perform reasonable well in a multi use environment where each machine has a different requirement routers verses planers verses table saws etc. The ideal is to have both types of extractor and a cyclone.

I don't know about the NVT stuff.

It's a bit misleading to apply Pentz's figures to a LVHP extractor, though. In reality, unless you have 6" or 8" unrestricted all the way through to the entry point of the dust ports on your machines, the Camvac will perform much better than the raw l/m suggests when compared to HVLP machines (because resistances have much, much less impact on throughput).

Ultimately, if you want to take the Pentz line, you do need a whacking great HVLP fan, huge duct work, and modifications to all of your machines, as well as the cyclone.

Or you could choose to make do with something that doesn't take ages to put together, and copes much better with unmodified machines, flexi-pipes, and so on.

I don't think they are the "ultimate LEV solution" by a long chalk. They are not the right choice for dust sensitive, health risk hyper-conscious, or even OCD woodworkers.

They do have their niche in my view, and can be more effective than the raw lpm figures sound - better in my experience than an entry level HVLP extractor on 4" duct with a fine filter and unmodified machine ports (albeit at the cost of £ and, ouch, the noise).

I don't know about all the tech details mentioned however, I do have the 3 motor Camvac and can confirm that it isn't good enough to extract the MDF dust from my table saw. I bought it with an extra cyclone can on their recommendation and used it for a couple of weeks but found it ineffective. I now have a big Axminster Dc103. The Camvac provides very good a chip extraction from my router table though. PM me if you want a chat on the phone.

I'm not surprised at that, it would be a mismatch with an Altendorf - even the 'baby' one.

The idea behind a cyclone is that you make the air swirl round following a smooth trajectory without obstructions. This obviously cannot be the case in a can with the motor, the filters and the bag sticking out right into the air's path. This inevitably creates turbulence - combine this with the short cans and you have pretty much done away with the vortex. Yes the air is still going round but is also moving in all sort of other directions. Thus you are not relying on the vortex to do much of the separation, only on the filters.

This is not a bad thing if you have good filters. However it is misleading to claim that your 'all new' neutral vane design helps reduce vortex turbulence and improve separation when you don't rely (or even have) a vortex in the first place! It's like claiming that the new off-road tires you've fitted to your sports car are going to improve its off-road capabilities - they won't because the vehicle doesn't have any to start with. Also, with regards to fine dust filtration and again with a motoring example, it's like saying that this car can do 80 mph but it's speed is electronically restricted to 30mph - would you dare take it to the motorway?

At the end of the day my problem is not with Camvac or their products as such. I'm quite happy that they are a British company selling reliable machines. My objection is that they and many others sell vacuum cleaners as something they are not. And then make misleading claims that seem nothing more than marketing hype.

I find it quite annoying that woodworkers are being sold products they think would protect their health but really don't. How many of us have been using our respirators less regularly just because we've bought this brand-new extractor with the 0.5 micron filtration that should take care of the dangerous dust? Do the manufacturers really care if we get lung cancer or respiratory problems in the future partly due to their products' failure to deliver?

I believe that Camvac and others would sell just as well if they were clear about what their products are designed to do and avoided the misleading advertising hype.

Russell":rpsss2q3 said:
I do have one question what is a neutral vane fan. Having looked on google I am pretty sure that these are not exclusive to cyclones a cyclone is merely the method of separation of particles by a vortex an has very little to do with the fan itself.

The neutral vane has nothing to do with the fan/blower. It is the inlet ramp in the cyclone. It "shapes" the vortex at the start of the cyclone, improving its efficiency. When the inlet is just a hole in the side of the cyclone the flow is a bit more turbulent and not as efficient at removing the fine dust. Whether it is a lot better I can't say.

I've looked at much of whats on the market for use "home Woodies" and think most is overpriced.

Chip extraction & dust extraction are two different things - any combined machine will at best be a compromise. Nearly all are a just a chip extractor with a fine filter bunged on the outlet. They work to specification out of box - but are hardly likely to meet it after 10 minutes work.

Somewhere (I not longer do this!) I have a fancy certificate saying I'm competent to design & Test commercial LEV systems to the requirements of current UK legislation. I also held a patent for a Cyclonic trap ( used in products still in production 20 years on), so I have a rough idea of whats require here.

What do I use at home in my shop?
A couple of Macallister vacs (£ 30 each) fitted with cartridge filters.
A dyson off the skip (as portable dust extractor) - I'm looking for another!!
A home made dust extractor using Axminster filters (winter only), like many here have made.
A ex bathroom fan in the wall to shift dusty ( & hot) air (summer only).

I totally agree - there's no one-size-fits-all solution and most of them are way overpriced.

I think it's rather offensive the way woodworkers are treated when it comes to dust extraction. Manufacturers seem to believe they can sell us anything, claiming whatever they want and charging us outrageous prices. But worst of all, their machines often just don't deliver.

We wouldn't accept being treated like fools when it comes to our other tools, why is this not the case with dust extractors? Maybe because the average woodworker doesn't (care to) know as much about them?

lurker":23d0b686 said:
Somewhere (I not longer do this!) I have a fancy certificate saying I'm competent to design & Test commercial LEV systems to the requirements of current UK legislation. I also held a patent for a Cyclonic trap ( used in products still in production 20 years on), so I have a rough idea of whats require here.

Good to know that someone has a bit of formal training in the subject. Would you mind giving an opinion of the Bill Pentz cyclone design?

Thanks

Well I've got a Camvac and find it excellent both on machines and power tools and worth every penny it cost :D

Inspector":1iz2w7z6 said:
Russell":1iz2w7z6 said:

The neutral vane has nothing to do with the fan/blower. It is the inlet ramp in the cyclone. It "shapes" the vortex at the start of the cyclone, improving its efficiency. When the inlet is just a hole in the side of the cyclone the flow is a bit more turbulent and not as efficient at removing the fine dust. Whether it is a lot better I can't say.

According to Bill Pentz and other articles I have read, the neutral vane is not as you say the inlet ramp, this is actually referred to as an air ramp. The neutral vane means that the inlet pipe extends beyond the centre of the cyclone so that the incoming air and air circling inside the cyclone do not hit each other thus reducing turbulence. here is a picture of what i mean.

NeutralVane.gif

regards

michael

Latest posts

Back