Calvert Stevens cs88

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannykaye

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone know the threads used on these planes? I especially need to know the frog adjuster thread

ta

Danny

That thread is about the same plane. I started it and then got distracted by stuff and I am just getting back to it :)

Was yours the one with the bent frog adjuster, I thought you got it repaired

If you didn't I have a CS88 and an engineering lathe. When I get a moment I am willing to have a go at replicating the one on my plane out of brass

Let me know

thanks, if you could that would be great. I have a lathe but it is not useable at the moment and, anyway, I can't get a sensible thread measurement, I measure it at 6.5 mm outer diameter and 1.1 mm pitch so the closeas is an american thread at 1/4 24 tpi but that seems unlikely. I was hoping that someone would have drawings or a better guess at thread.

Danny

dannykaye":2dk2c2wf said:
I can't get a sensible thread measurement, I measure it at 6.5 mm outer diameter and 1.1 mm pitch so the closeas is an american thread at 1/4 24 tpi but that seems unlikely...
Why unlikely? That's the first thread I'd have tried as that's what all Stanley and Record bench planes used for the frog adjuster. Though whether it's American (60°) or Whitworth (55°) would be my question (Mr Bailey having started with Whitworth profile, but www.recordhandplanes.com suggesting Record used American/Unified form)?

Cheers, Vann.

dannykaye":2ztubtpm said:
1.1 mm pitch is 23tpi, good idea to try the witworth gauge, thanks
"Standard" thread for a Stanley/Record adjuster is 1/4" 24tpi. From what you've posted, I doubt this will be any different.

You could probably - at a pinch - use the plated steel adjuster off any post-1976 Record plane. But it seems katellwood is happy to make you a brass one - which has got to be nicer :!:

Cheers, Vann.

Well I'm pretty pleased with myself

First time I've done anything this fine on the beast of a lathe that I've got

2013-04-11170518_zps270d7ce7.jpg

2013-04-11170555_zps98440300.jpg

It works perfectly on my CS88 hopefully they are all the same

Danny

PM me your details so I can get it to you

Regards

Chris

I now have all the parts and almost have a workshop so i will post pics as soon as it is finished. Thanks for all the help and advice.

Thanks

Danny

dannykaye":2098hpue said:
A really nice turning just arrived, thanks again. Plane will be assembled asap :)

This is the sort of generosity and help that sets this forum head and shoulders above the rest!

Bravo Chris!

=D> =D> =D> =D>

Jimi

Ok, it is together and takes shavings that you can read through. No discernable bump behind the mouth or any other major defects that I can see yet. If I had paid £200+ or even £133 for this I would not be happy but £7 plus a bit plus some help from Chris and I am happy to give it a try.

cs88_1.jpg

cs88_2.jpg

cs88_3.jpg

I seem to have a Jones for Frankenplanes, Here is the next salvage project, I thought this was a Record #2 as the only name I could see was Record on the blade. However, while starting to clean it up I found "Stanley" on the lateral adjuster. It is filthy and will take some work, but as you can see, with minimal work, it takes quite nice shavings :)

stanley_no2.jpg

Attachments

• cs88_1.jpg
    cs88_1.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 661
  • cs88_2.jpg
    cs88_2.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 661
  • cs88_3.jpg
    cs88_3.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 661
  • stanley_no2.jpg
    stanley_no2.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 661
Sadly the 2 has been welded and has a replacement blade. Soon it will have a new handle too as the one it has is not original and is incredibly badly made. Anyone got a 1*3*4 scrap of nice wood?

Back