Calling all Camvac owners for advice on a 286-4 36L 2kw plz

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJHicks

Reaction score
Hi folks. I have a couple of questions regarding a camvac if any owners have the time to answer.

Yesterday my father purchased a Camvac 286-4 36L 2kw from D&M Tools on inspection when it arrived this morning I found the motor housing to be cracked around the bolts securing it to the lid so it going back for replacement today and they are sending another out tonight.

That said I did have a quick read of the manual and a go at putting on the cloth filter bag over the plastic cage and then the brown filter bag etc.

1. Did those who bought new have hot glue around the top of the black plastic cages? It did on both of mine that arrived... odd as it practically falls off being hot glue it won't stick ell to plastic anyway.

2. Just having a look etc. I found the the bare plastic cages sat on the motor very loosely (more so then expected) despite being a cm or so on and noticed a couple of plastic pieces stick inwards were about an inch away from from touching the motor housing.... are you suppose to push these cages on harder to get the inner plastic pieces to touch the motor. If so it would certainly be on tight etc.... but would seem a bit difficult to do.

3. With the cloth filter and then bag on with elastic bag it did sit obviously more snugly onto the motor but still felt as though it could easily drop off the motor... I know with the extractor on there will be a natural pull on it but when only using one or it switched off I don't want it dropping off of course.

Have I missed or done something incorrectly? Perhaps over thinking it? (hammer)

Thank you for any advice, guidance, instructions or suggestions etc.... I'd rather ask the silly questions then operate it incorrectly thus damaging it or me.

Thanks again

David

I have two camvacs and have always found the fittings and filter arrangements to be very heath robinson with the bags and plastic frame you talk about being held on by an elastic band.
However it has to be said that THEY WORK BRILLIANTLY. :)

Thank you Graham!

So it really is a case of cloth filter on... bag filter on and then push on and hope for the best :shock:

haha :lol:

Hi mike....

That Axminsters is actually £110 more expensive. Also appears to be twin motored but single switched so both on all the time etc. With the camvac the motors are individually switched thus able to use one at a time or both together... I need this to allow me to work for longer periods of time i.e. use one then let that cool as I use the other etc.

Also with the camvac you can exhaust out the filtered motor exhaust which massively improves the noise level!

**Edit** just read the axminster has an exhaust that can be ducted away but couldn't say of it full use or effectiveness... theoretically should be similar effect to the camvac.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply, I could only find the Camvac at £500.00 when I looked so the Numatic looked a better price, I admit I do have one of the Numatics and run both motors all day when needed without any problems, it is a very old one that I now have a cyclone fitting on which increase's the capacity, I am sure somewhere I have read that a fitting is available to exhaust the Numaic to atmosphere, since getting a 2000m3/hr chip extractor the Numatic does get less use, but is brilliant for dusty small tools.

Mike

No problems... always good to check out other items etc.

The camvac is £299 from Record Power (who now own camvac) http://www.recordpower.co.uk/product/36 ... xizKHoVYik

There are a few distributors around that have it for £289 etc.

I am looking into a cyclone at the moment to go along with the camvac... looks as though I'll make one as I think £110 for the plastic one from cyclone central is far too much for what it is especially being on a budget at the moment :(

DJHicks":1iza8wlk said:
No problems... always good to check out other items etc.

The camvac is £299 from Record Power (who now own camvac) http://www.recordpower.co.uk/product/36 ... xizKHoVYik

There are a few distributors around that have it for £289 etc.

I am looking into a cyclone at the moment to go along with the camvac... looks as though I'll make one as I think £110 for the plastic one from cyclone central is far too much for what it is especially being on a budget at the moment :(

Try this one £40
http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+woodworkin ... tor+dk2103

Thank you... Will check it out.

Got the replacement today and its only single motor not twin... Not happy.

My biggest point about getting a twin motor was being about to use it all day switching between motors etc but manual says 10-15 min cool down every 2 hours so thinking this would be ok maybe.

Will see what refund they offer etc and consider my options.

Did have a quick inspection of it and motor is ok and noticed the plastic cage is on the motor bare as if stuck on with the hot glue. Is that right?

Surely i need to take that off to get the cloth filter on and then the paper? Or is the paper bag suppoer to go all the eay up the motor and banded by the top of the lid?

Thank you.

We have a CanVac at the club and I have to say it's very quiet for a workshop vac.

The plastic cage goes onto the base of the motor BEFORE the cloth and paper bags. Its purpose id to stop the bags collapsing when the suction starts. You will find that all the circulating plastic bits ( the thinner ones ) snap after a while and you will need a new cage.

Thank you for confirming that Graham!

Have you replaced yours? If so did you hot glue it back on or just placed it on etc?

After speaking with DM-tools who spoke to camvac they agreed there was a big co*k up somewhere along the line as they don't seel a single motor 4" inlet version and the model number on the top is CGV286-3 which is the 150L wall mounted machine....

Anyway they agreed to reduce the price to the single motor 2.5" inlet they sell at £192.95 so have saved £87 odd....

I was only wanting the twin motor as they only usually do the 4" inlet and I need that for longer running as I won't reduce that down when doing my sanding which is when i need a long time run.... WhenI will have 2 x 2.5" hoses (one to the tool and one for next to the item sucking up excess) with 2.5" to 4" adaptors which then y section into 4" ducting into the camvac so run time is still as it would be at 4" etc.

Thanks again!

Hi DJ
Yes I have had to replace all my cages they seem like a weak design but it MAY be that I do not clean the bags often enough. I have never heard of hot glueing them in place and I am not sure I see the point. elastic in the top of the cloth bag and the the elastic band that holds the paper bag in place also hold the cage in place without any problem.

Personally I am not concerned with the two hours on and 20 minutes off. By the time you have been doing something for 2 hours its time for a cuppa anyway :) I have a two motor version but only because it takes two motors to compensate for the leakage I must be getting through the pipework joints and blast gates etc. I also have a single motor version hooked up to just the scms but that is only on for short periods.

I think you will find it very disappointing not having the extra oomph of a two motor unit, especially through ducting, with a vacuum unit pressure is important rather than CFM/H, therefore more stages of the turbine will increase the pressure and help to keep the ducts clear.

However vacuum units are really only good for dust extracts from small tools they have a problem dealing with large chip machines like a PT where CFM/H counts.

Mike

Latest posts

Back