Cabinet scrapers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Paul and myself were chatting away to Mark Hancock on Sunday (as the photos prove) and he suggested using cabinet scrapers. Both of us went straight down and bought a scraper to try out. I'm not sure whether it's a no-no but it works fantastic. I've now tried it on the outside of two pieces. You get nice fine shavings (yes, proper shavings) and it cleans off all the undulations.

I'd better mention how to use it just in case anybody tries the wrong way. Move the rest away from the work. Hold the scraper right down almost as if sanding. If the scraper is sharp shavings should go flying.

I'll post pictures of the pieces once I've finished the second one.

Dave

You can do the same using your woodturning scrapers. Grind the scraper to get a fine burr on the edge, remove the rest and shear cut around the form using the burr. Sometimes it is easier than using a cabinet scraper, you have more to hold onto.

I've seen one guy using a piece of broken glass for the same job, but I have always drawn the line at that. I value what digits I've got. :lol:

Much like Japanese turners using their below centre gouges and scrapers, does avoid any risk of 'dig in' catches.

..The Urushi process
Urushi bowls are rough-turned from green wood, dried for almost four months, then finished.

It takes Satake only a few seconds to clean up the outside of the bowl and to incise it with one of several traditional textures. A hacksaw blade, ground thin and grooved at the end, makes the grooves.

Like other Japanese turners, Satake balances the tool on the rest so that it touches the work from below. He also reverses the lathe's direction frequently, the better to reach certain parts of the piece. Urushi finishes up with a very sharp piece of hacksaw blade, using it like a cabinet scraper to make the wood perfectly smooth. It gets no sanding.

Quote taken from Here but there are many other examples if you do a google.

That's the one Chas! The larger size of the scraper made it much easier to get the shape smooth. The finish was very good as well; not good enough to avoid the sanding though.

Dave

Yes,when Mark was showing this method to Dave and myself i thought how good it was,mainly i thought to get rid of those deepish sanding marks you always seem to get when trying to finish off,and can't get them out.
I have used scrapers in the past but only on cleaning up on furniture etc,wouldn't of thought of using one in turning.
Would also like to point out that on Marks scraper all the corners were rounded,for inside work,i suppose you could put different sized corners to suit different size curves on the bowls.
Paul.J.

davejester":3aoybied said:
Paul and myself were chatting away to Mark Hancock on Sunday (as the photos prove) and he suggested using cabinet scrapers. Both of us went straight down and bought a scraper to try out. I'm not sure whether it's a no-no but it works fantastic. I've now tried it on the outside of two pieces. You get nice fine shavings (yes, proper shavings) and it cleans off all the undulations.

I'd better mention how to use it just in case anybody tries the wrong way. Move the rest away from the work. Hold the scraper right down almost as if sanding. If the scraper is sharp shavings should go flying.

Dave

Just to clarify always use the cabinet scraper trailing on the work relative to the rotation at about 30 to 45 degrees. I must stress this as I demonstrated this technique a number of years ago at a club and later learnt that someone had tried it inside a bowl but didn't trail it. The scraper stuck into the bowl and spun round with it. Luckily he got his hands out the way!

I'm not sure whether it's a no-no but it works fantastic

My view is that any technique is valid as long as it's safe and achieves what you want. To me the end result/form is the most important issue not how you get there and the cabinet scraper is easier than controlling a turning tool - I'm still practicing to use them :lol:

I tend to use the cabinet scraper more for refining curves rather than getting a finish but I am usually working with green timber. It's also great to solve problem areas with the work stationary

I have a few scrapers and will definitely try this on some problem elm I have, but as a matter of interest, what is the best way to cut scrapers from old saw blades?

NickWelford":1riv7mlc said:
I have a few scrapers and will definitely try this on some problem elm I have, but as a matter of interest, what is the best way to cut scrapers from old saw blades?

Nick

Try a dremel with the cut off discs

Back