Cabinet knobs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dicktimber

Established Member
Reaction score
IF and it's a big if, I decide to try turning pull knobs for say a chest of drawers will the knobs require metal inserts putting in for attaching them to the drawers, or will a drilled piolet hole be enough?

Any suggestions for making cabinet handles on a router table, like a pull rather than a round knob?

Hi Dick,

The easiest way to attach knobs and handles is with a screw through from the inside of the drawer front into the back of the knob/handle. You can always add a dab of epoxy just to make them more permanent if you like.

I made a sample handle for a customer a while ago. To cut the hollow for the finger hold I used a large dome cutter in my router table. I screwed the handle blank to a peice of MDF which is both sacrificial and doubles as a handle to keep your fingers well away from the cutter. I set the fence on the router table so the cutter protruded the amount I wanted and then set some stops on the fence for the start and end of the cut. I then place one end (right hand) against the stop and fence and gently push the blank onto the cutter. Once back against the fence I can make the cut upto the left hand stop and then take the blank away from the cutter. Do this in a series of small cuts so you are not removing it all in one!!

I hope this is clear. I will post some pictures of the handle I made to clarify.

Cheers

Richard

Me again!!

This is the picture my client sent me to make something similar:

Butterfly%20Handle.jpg

And this is the sample I made. It is the first carving I've done for a good few years and I explained that it was only really a representation of how the finished article would look - it would be much more refined but it was to give him an idea:

PB020003.jpg

After seeing the sample I made the guy realised it was way to fancy and went for something much plainer!!

HTH

Richard

WOW
Well I will have to start somewhere because i have found that bought handles and knobs just don't look right.

Will try the router cutters as i think I will be able to manage these first!!!
Then maybe move onto careved and turned
Thanks for the help to all posts

Latest posts

Back