C17th Hand Tools Recovered from the Vasa

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chipmunk

Established Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this'll be of interest but I visited Stockholm recently and took this photo of handtools rescued from the warship the Vasa which sank on its maiden voyage in 1628.

IMG_20140410_162115_986_zps7b382d96.jpg

In a nutshell the Swedes made the same mistakes as the English in 1545 with the Mary Rose - Too many guns too high up and too little ballast. At least the English had a good few years out of the Mary Rose before she sank :wink:

Jon

It never ceases to amaze me what our forefathers were capable of making with the tools they had to hand.

I went on board the Cutty Sark before it burned and there on the deck was a joiners shop, maybe 6 feet long by 4 feet wide with a door at each end so they could mend broken masts whilst at sea. :shock:

Beggars belief. :D

Did you check for the Derbyshire bevel?

Pete

I've seen stuff as good as that on a certain internet auction site.....desribed as 'basically good to use, might need a clean'.

Interresting to see a coffin smoother proven to be made before 1628.

I hava always thought that coffin smoothers were introduced in Sweden and Finland during last days of wooden planes. Apparently I was wrong..... or maybe there were nome fireigh ideas floating around at the royal shipyard.

As far as I have understtod the Wasa capsized becuse the king ordered a second gun deck armed with 24 punders to be added to the design of a ship being built with only one gun deck. There are indications that the hull was planked to the turn of the bilges when the new orders came from the king. Consequently the hull became far too narrow. There are also indications that the master shipbuilder might have been against the design changes but he had to obey orders.
When the ship was fitted out stability tests were undertaken at the dock. Wasa proved to be extremely crank. Everybodu knew it but noone wanted to risk his carreer and possibly also his life by opposing orders from the king. On ther maiden voyage the Wasa capzised and sank as soon as a few sails were set. Only a few cables from the dock.

I think this is a typical excample of the effectiveness and practicality of a strictly herarchial society........

Back