Bypassing NVR's

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just picked up an Axminster 2200 extractor which has one of these starter switches

340192_xl.jpg

My previous extraction system was run with the extractors NVR switch bypassed and a switched plug fitted to the end of the power lead. This meant that the extractor could be switched on at the wall right next to the machine, rather than having to go over to the extractor to turn it on.

What can I do with the Axminster switch so that it works in the same way? I'm assuming they put one of these fancier switches on for a reason?

Cheers

Karl

The NVR switches are to prevent accidental restart of the machine after a main power supply failure, when someone may be tempted to start servicing the equipment, removing a blockage etc. without unpluging it from the power source or it restarting when left unattended.
I too have an NVR bypassed on my extractor but it is so wired that it is not possible to get hands near the inlets or fan without first unplugging it from power source.

A picture of the rear of the NVR switch assembly will be needed before any comments can be made about wiring changes but they are not advised if you do not have some other method of ensuring power disconnect before servicing.

CHJ":1nlzdmy0 said:
A picture of the rear of the NVR switch assembly will be needed before any comments can be made about wiring changes but they are not advised if you do not have some other method of ensuring power disconnect before servicing.

What, like unplugging it?????

Must say that all this sounds very "official".

Karl

JFDI. I have modded my 2200 to do the same...I can't remember the exact details but if you take the cover off, seem to remember it was pretty obvious.

Digressing slightly, is it a new one? I have a sense that mine is losing suck and wish I'd run a 'suck test' when I first got mine. Can't remember exactly who it was on the forum but they came up with a brilliant idea..namely hang a spring balance secured to the floor or a very heavy weight, at the other end fix it to a bit of MDF that will easily span the extractor hose....turn on the extractor and then suck the MDF up and note at what setting on the spring balance it loses suck on the MDF. That way if you have a suspicion it's losing suck then you can always run the test again.

I'm wondering if the RB Industrial filter is clogged up despite me rattling it's cage at bag-change time.

Roger

Karl":qayr0rsy said:
CHJ":qayr0rsy said:

What, like unplugging it?????

Fine as long as you can ensure anyone likely to have servicing access to the machine is MADE to unplug it, if you modify it you are responsible for removing a major safety feature and new fingers are not readily available for anyone that looses them.

Karl

You could always take off the DOL switch and replace it with a junction box and put alonger cable on and mount the DOL switch near the machine .

Tom

RogerS, does your machine have a 'safety' grill on the inlet catching shavings? even if this is removed to cater for large shavings it's possible there is a build up of shavings in the core of the fan itself.

A regular occurence on my machine when long turning threads or finishing cloths get sucked up.

Roger - no, it's not new. But it does seem to have a hell of a lot of suck. I remember that "pullometer" - I think it was Kityuser who did it. Will have a search.

Tom - good idea!

Cheers

Karl

CHJ":1bn9odbo said:
RogerS, does your machine have a 'safety' grill on the inlet catching shavings? even if this is removed to cater for large shavings it's possible there is a build up of shavings in the core of the fan itself.

A regular occurence on my machine when long turning threads or finishing cloths get sucked up.

No grill but I'll check. Good idea, thanks

Job done - I took Toms advice and extended the lead to the starter switch which is now mounted on the wall right next to the planer thicknesser.

Cheers

Karl

i have seen a remote control pwer switch used, not sure where you get one from, never bothered pesonally, but means you can turn ur extract on and off from anywhere in the workshop. wouldnt have though they were too expensive.

nicklm":22du9l0k said:
i have seen a remote control pwer switch used, not sure where you get one from, never bothered pesonally, but means you can turn ur extract on and off from anywhere in the workshop. wouldnt have though they were too expensive.

Maplin do them...watch the power rating though, they have several variants. Lousy quality though...the on/off buttons on my first set failed after a couple of years relatively low usage.

And avoid the 'Bargain' packs on ebay. They might be cheap, and rated at 2.7kw which is why I got them, but they, or at least the ones I bought, don't retain their settings when the power is turned off... blinkin bloomin annoying it is.

Latest posts

Back