Buying Timber in the North East

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_Mc

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of any decent timber suppliers based locally in the north east area (ideally around Newcastle)? I've searched online and nothing stands out. Not looking for anything exotic, just oak & walnut mainly. Would prefer to visit, deal and collect in person rather than just order online.

Any help appreciated.

Rob_Mc":cyvgxdlq said:
Anyone know of any decent timber suppliers based locally in the north east area (ideally around Newcastle)? I've searched online and nothing stands out. Not looking for anything exotic, just oak & walnut mainly. Would prefer to visit, deal and collect in person rather than just order online.

Any help appreciated.

Depends what you want Rob.

If it's in quantity and boards there was an importer near South Shields there was / is one in Blaydon industrial estate where I've bought large section oak in the past. I can't remember the names but the Blaydon one was taken over by a building materials company (not Jewsons). I'll see if I can dig out the info.

Smaller sizes try Hexhamshire Hardwoods and keenleysides at Bedlington Station has a limited supply though I think this is left over stock from when they had a woodturning dept years ago.

Bob

Hi Bob, thanks for the swift response. Will probably be looking for something in the order of 19mm x 150mm and some 50mm square sections.

... and I forgot to mention that it will be relatively small quantities, probably a few hundred pounds (max) worth at a time.

Hi Rob

Company in Blaydon is now Travis Perkins NE21 5SA tel. 0191 4990444. Worth a 'phone call
Other one I remembered is Robert Duncan in Felling http://www.robertduncan.co.uk/

I've laid quite a few oak t&g floors over the years and it is / was possible to buy untreated which was a reasonable source especially if you can buy trade.
Hope that helps

cheers
Bob

Robert Duncan in Felling is good for being able to go out the back and choose your boards. They don't seem to mind shifting pallet loads to get at the one small plank I need....

For smaller cabinet grade unusual stuff you could try Arbor Timber in Durham - it looks like a small builders merchants but one of the managers is a bit of a woodie and out the back he keeps a shed of interesting stuff. Worth a visit.

Percy Hudson in North Shields is good for reasonably priced machined stuff if you ever need to get old mouldings matched up.

Hope this helps

Graham

Quay Timber is good for oak
I don't seem to have permission to post links, probably because I've just joined.

Arnold Laver used to be pretty good, although i was buying softwood for work at the time from the Newcastle Branch. I got some hardwood for myself at the time- some black walnut. To be honest, I dont know whether the Newcastle branch pulled it in from another branch for me or stocked it.

British hardwoods might be worth a look. Not local to you, but they are known to deliver good quality stuff and not palm you off with rubbish on deliveries.

Back