Buying timber in Formby on Merseyside

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eribaMotters

Established Member
Reaction score
After 35 yrs I am moving from Essex to Merseyside this month.
2 tons of machinery plus benches, timber and tools are nearly ready to go.

I need to build up a new list of suppliers and top of my list is a good source of sawn hardwoods. Initially this is for personal use on remodelling a very ugly bungalow into something more attractive
I mainly use poplar/tulip wood for indoor joinery, what ever suitable mahogany is available for exterior work of doors and windows. Typically 38/50/62 mm thickness, random widths, 10/12 boards up to 3m as a guide.
WBP Birch plywood and moisture resistant mdf will also be on my wanted list.
A source of Blum fittings for cabinet work would also be of use.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Thanks - Colin

Thank you Mike. I will put them on my list.
Looks like the area is devoid of woodworkers judging by a lack of replies.
I could have a captive market awaiting me post house refurb.

Colin

I haven’t been there in years so not sure if they are still going but Ambrose McGrath in Vauxhall (Liverpool docks) used to have a good selection.

Mike, Glynne,
thanks for the suggestions. Ambrose McGrath are still going and sounded particularly promising when I phoned them up.
Lots of sawn hardwoods in stock, stored inside in an old warehouse. Tulipwood/poplar at £30 cubic foot in various lengths, widths and thicknesses. Free delivery on £200+ or come and choose the boards you want. Sounds just the job.

Colin

Colin,
If you go to Ambrose McGrath I'd be interested to see what you think as I'll be up in Liverpool city centre in a month or so and can nip along there.
Good luck with the move, I used to occasionally stay at the Westcliffe Hotel (guess who I used to work for?).

Back