Buying thicknesser this week

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-David-

Established Member
Reaction score
This purchase is one I want to live with, so will pay the price.
Looking at Members choices its pointing me towards the DeWalt 733, Delta 22-560 and Axminster CT330. My machine will not have heavy use.

Questions if you do not mind!

Finding it difficult to find the Delta - anybody know where?
Apart from spec differences and price what is the difference between the Ax CT330 & 344. Ax says the 330 is more robust and the 334 used by cabinetmakers??

The most expensive is the CT344, if you were prepared to spend £368 which would you buy.

(The machine at the moment will be partnered by a SIP 6" surface planer - which is on probation - will eventually upgrade that when I have my workshop).

Thanks - you have all been a great help so far :D

Hi David
I have had the DW733 for a few years-it has performed flawlessly all this time. Zero snipe and a flawless finish (on sharp blades :wink: ), blade change is a piece of cake (all tools and blade setters supplied). A bit noisy but they all are!
Hope this is of use,
Philly :D

David

I have the Delta and have been very pleased with it. Like you, I can't find anyone now selling it...maybe it's been superseded?

Loads of belts and blades and so I might just stock up on these. Sorry not to have been any more help.

Roger

Thanks both.

It seems to be the DW then.

Philly - Do you think that todays DW733 would be of the same quality manufacture as yours (after hearing that they are subcontracting the manufacture of some of their range overseas)?

David

Good woodworking issue 151 sept. 2004 says the d27300 is a replacement for dw733s there review did not like aluminium box section tables and the accuracy of the fence . performance 3 out of 5 'a step backwards' .
Of course the issues may have been sorted out by now.

I honestly couldn't say, David. If you are at all un-happy about it (if you buy one) then I'd take it straight back for a refund. I bought a "budget" one before the DW and was scared to death by the thing. Took it straight back and swapped for the DW. Very happy, and obviously built to a higher standard.
See if you can try it out before you buy?
Cheers
Philly :D

David
Following a recent thread where I asked very similar questions I eventually bought a CT330. Just remembered I should have told members what I did following all their assistance. Sorry folks!
I looked into the bed length, the cutting width and the availability of spares, delivery etc. Axminster won.
It is heavy, noisy, big - all the things people said it would be but it works very well. What else is there? I am very pleased.
Money well spent, I reckon.
Cheers.

SF

I have also been in a quandry as to what to buy and have finally decided to go with this Metabo HC330 (rebranded Elektra B)

Good price much cheaper than the DW733
Link here if you want to look.

I hope to have it on Thursday. Yahoooooo!

Make plenty noise on Saturday :D

Maybe you should look at this one as well?

Cheers.

And I thought this was going to be straightforward :? .

It seems there is a number of quality product in this area. Looking at USA Amazon and Epinions the DW733 is well rated but with some negative reviews. The Makita 2012NB comes out well with not a single negative except for the inadequate packaging and instructions. The new bit of the equation is the Metabo DH330 (EB as was). EB always did solid products and things should not get worse under Metabos wing. I have just looked at their website and am always impressed when you have PDF's of all the instruction manuals. I looked at the DH330 and it is very well written and illustrated - so now I am REALLY thinking :? :? :? .

But how can he sell them at £270 If D&M are selling the EB at £395 ( DW & £349 and the Makita, also at £349) ? And inclusive of VAT.

nonidentity and Der_Goalie - I assume that your offers have been accepted ? Could you expand on your Dealings with TransTools ie are you confident that everything is tickedyboo (spelling).

David

i too have been pondering for a while on which thicknesser to buy but finally decided on the metabo dh330 for £270 off ebay, looks good EB i understand are renound for quality, accuracy and robustness and also comes with a 3 year warranty
should have it by thursday will post too let u now how i get on.

-David-":1tnqdnmp said:
And I thought this was going to be straightforward :? .

It seems there is a number of quality product in this area. Looking at USA Amazon and Epinions the DW733 is well rated but with some negative reviews. The Makita 2012NB comes out well with not a single negative except for the inadequate packaging and instructions. The new bit of the equation is the Metabo DH330 (EB as was). EB always did solid products and things should not get worse under Metabos wing. I have just looked at their website and am always impressed when you have PDF's of all the instruction manuals. I looked at the DH330 and it is very well written and illustrated - so now I am REALLY thinking :? :? :? .

But how can he sell them at £270 If D&M are selling the EB at £395 ( DW & £349 and the Makita, also at £349) ? And inclusive of VAT.

nonidentity and Der_Goalie - I assume that your offers have been accepted ? Could you expand on your Dealings with TransTools ie are you confident that everything is tickedyboo (spelling).

David

I spoke to them & I believe that they bought a job lot hence the reduced price.

As far as their ebay feedback goes they seem to sell thousands of items with hardly any bad feedback.

Hi there,

I spoke to them and have ordered the Metabo (it is the Elektra Beckum originally)

The guy supplied a range of tools and I must say that it was straight forward to buy (ensure you ask for 240v)

He asked me if he should advertise rather as Elektra Beckum instead of Metabo (it is the same thing) - I answered that I guess most folks know the Elektra Beckum better (in the w/w space) so he may change his advert.

While he was there he had the Metabo rep as he was expecting another 30 today! He sells various brands and maybe does buy in job lots to get pricing. He obviously sells these like hot cakes as he had to order more.

Mine is to arrive on Thurs. :D

Will advise you on the result!

Well I had waited long enough, and to see the thicknessers there in the flesh at my nearest dealer was too much for me - so I just bought one.

Sorry lads but I could not join the rush for the bargain EB/Metabo - the temptation was too great. The financial downside was that I had to get a cheap Biscuit Jointer-the SIP. I can always upgrade that later, but actually it seems OK, especially since it will not have heavy use.

So I handled them all and if truth be known actually fondled the one I eventually bought. There was a Charnwood, DeWalt, SIP, Makita and Delta.

Just going to open the box now and use it on a project that has been waiting for its arrival for a long time. And since there is a break in the weather must dash as my workshop is either the kitchen or the patio.

David

Just beaten the weather and job done.

Thought you would never ask- the Makita :D :D :D

Never knew PINE could look so good - kind of a velvety sheen.

Tiny amount of snipe on about half the lengths which does not cause me much angst as I was not being particularly meticulous about feeding - (trying to beat the clouds). Had to be careful not to thickness too much as I was enjoying the process.
Big snipe would have been a pain as I had already cut to length - will know better next time, although should be able to thickness with none at all - I will experiment tomorrow and come back with more detail.

Hopefull we will hear from the Metabo boys as well.

:D David :D

hello
recieved my metabo, actually badged elektra beckum fairly heavy very robust nice looking, plenty of info in the manual.

ran a few pieces although i was short on time, very sligh snipe i mean marginal only noticed when measured with calipers, even though i havent levelled the outfeed table yet so i am sure this will be eradicated.
any way any questions on the metabo please ask £270 off ebay what a buy £350 - £400 in most tool shops.

Hi David

-David-":1lst678b said:
Thought you would never ask- the Makita :D :D :D

Never knew PINE could look so good - kind of a velvety sheen.

IMHO, you have made an excellent choice. I have the Mak and it is superb.

I decided to go with separates, so I have the Jet jointer/planer and the Mak thicknesser. I'm really glad that I made the separates decision.

Cheers
Neil

Thanks Neil

I will probably get a Jet when I have my workshop, but for now will have to make do with the SIP surface planer simply because it is transportable.

I just rushed something off yesterday just to use it and did not pay too much attention to the nuances of feeding - got a little snipe on some of the boards - which was not surprising really. Do you get any snipe at all, being an old Makita hand.

David

Latest posts

Back