BUYING FROM THE USA - AN UPDATE

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ado

Reaction score
A While back I asked for advice on Importing from the USA & as usual the forum members were very helpful. This is just a quick update as a way of returning the favour. From Tool King.com I bought a Reconditioned (to my eyes it looks brand spanking new) Porter cable 19.2 Volt cordless Router for just $68.88. I added a charger (reconditioned -but again mint) for $39.99 and 2.4ah battery for $69.88 ( $10 cheaper than the actual price quoted). Shipping was $80.28 by FedEx Int Economy to glasgow. A grand total of $259.03 or £139!.When the FedEx guy arrived four days later I expected to pay Duties/ taxes etc but I got off completely. So effectively I got the same router package -albeit without a case- that Rutlands were selling at £350 for £139!
The other Company I would recommend is Coastal Tool & Supply. I got the small Paslode im200 18g Nail Gun from them for the total price of £238. That includes shipping & Importing charges/ taxes. Delivery was by UPS & again it only took 4 Days. This time I got stung for £52 but you can't win all the time! I already have a step-down transformer so I don't have to factor that in.
The real Purchase that I'm excited about is the Veritas MK II Power Sharpening System that I've ordered from Lee Valley about 4 weeks ago. This is being sent by surface mail as I'm not in any hurry. I've been looking at power systems for my chisels/plane irons,for the last few years. Checking out reviews, forums & demonstrations- but the real thing that swung it in favour of the MK II was the review in Fine Woodworking (#182 Feb issue). It got the reviewer's best award even though it was up against- amongst others- the Tormek, Scheppach, and the expensive Lap Sharp machine.

Thabks for the heads up on that site :)
The savings :shock: ( must walk away now , must walk away now :-k )

Back