Buying a scrollsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Barry,

I bolted my saw to a paving slab that I got from B+Q, and then bolted that to the stand. My saw is almost completely vibration free now.

Interestingly, my blade seems to oscillate a bit off load, but it stops as soon as I start cutting, so I put it down to a harmonic type issue. Varying the speed does make it change amplitude, so harmonic oscillation seems the likely culprit.

Regards

Gary

Gill":1v5iu0ja said:
Hold downs are completely unnecessary and just get in the way. Getting rid of yours is a 'good thing', and if it improves the saw's performance then so much the better.

Actually, you do get a small amount of vibration with a Hegner. The same's true of the Diamond. It's just that you don't get very much, and mounting the saws onto a heavy base makes a world of difference no matter what saw you use.

Gill

I had already removed most of the holddown after reading some advise from Lyn, the only thins I was using it for was to hold the blower tube.

Gary,

I like the idea of the paving slab.
Mine is now on a bench that is a thick piece of kitchen worktop screwed securely to large timbers that are then screwed to the wall. I'm also pretty much vibration free as well now. Much nicer to use. :D

I also put it down to an oscillation effect. I think that it is oscillating about the lower arm. This does mean that when you introduce the workpiece that the point moves up to some point between the top and bottom of the workpiece and so the oscillation will reduce. I just didn't like the whole idea of my sawblade moving about due to a great chunk of metal bolted to the side that I didn't need. So off it came and I think that it cuts much more nicely now. :D

Barry,

Yes - I removed the complete hold down assembly within about 5 minutes of starting using the saw - it just seemed to be in the way all the time and got on my nerves.

I got the quick release blade clamp and clock key and clock screws from Hegner - they make life a lot less fiddly when changing blades. It may be something that you want to think about too.

Regards

Gary

Taffy Turner":9fm6wdyt said:
Barry,

Yes - I removed the complete hold down assembly within about 5 minutes of starting using the saw - it just seemed to be in the way all the time and got on my nerves.

I got the quick release blade clamp and clock key and clock screws from Hegner - they make life a lot less fiddly when changing blades. It may be something that you want to think about too.

Regards

Gary

Yes, I've been looking at those and I think an order will be going in in the next couple of days.

Back