buttocks!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiscoStu

Established Member
Reaction score
Used my saw to cut some previously used MDF. There were a couple of holes in it that had been used to hang it up. I wasn't aware that these had a metal eyelets in them. So hit them with my saw blade!

So my question what options are there for replacement blades for a Festool TS55?

Not sure what the best options are? Am I best to stick with Festool or are there cheaper options that are equally good or some much cheaper and pretty reasonable in quality terms?

Suggestions please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Send it to a really good saw doctor (Leitz just outside Winchester is the best in our area), they've worked saw blade repair miracles for me in the past, and maybe they'll also stock a high quality spare blade compatible with Festool? In any event, if you're in Hampshire then Leitz should definitely be in your little black book. Not the cheapest, but the best by a country mile.

I'm not familiar with the Festool spin saws but if the bore on the arbor is a standard size (which pretty much all other brands are) then any of the regular blade brands will suffice. You would just need to order the correct tpi/bore diameter and circumference for the blade. For ripping I wouldn't go above 40 tpi and there are many decent brands out there which I have little doubt would be substantially less expensive than festools own.

As an aside, if the carbide teeth aren't actually snapped off then they can be sharpened with a diamond file really easily at home and likely faster than the time it would take to get it/send it to a saw doctor. If the teeth are missing then new ones will need to be braised on and that's a repair job in my world. The only reason I mention this is I bought a tapered diamond file for this exact job about 2 years ago and was very pleasantly surprised at how easy and quick it was. (No missing teeth mind).

The cost of the file was less than my local saw doctor would have charged too.

remember the track saw kerf needs to match existing
or you will be replacing all the strips on your rails
also bear in mind it has a riving knife so again I would say important to get a match

Steve

I have used the axminster contractor blades on my ts55… couldn't tell the difference. But get it sharpened, my local place charges a tenner a pop so well worth it.

Thanks guys. I had already thought that the kerf wanted to be the same. Most I've seen are actually slightly less.

I don't know what damage it is done as I've not taken the blade out yet but I will take a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with Matt Roberts - I've used a standard 48-tooth Festool blade (491952) to cut aluminium profile without any problems at all, so I'd expect your blade to be fine. FWIW I switched to the Festool 28 tooth blade (496302) as my 'standard' a while back and haven't noticed any difference in the quality of cut (wood not aluminium) ;)

I've used a couple of cheap & cheerful blades off eBay, and they were OK for rougher work, but not a patch on the festool, imho.

HTH Peter

i use my kapex to cut aluminum angle
i am sure it is not the best option, but the blade still cuts wood ok

hopefully your blade is not too bad

Steve

What Woodmonkey said. The axminster blades are spot on and make a good cut for the price. Delivery is really good as well now.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Woodmonkey":2ij5ai9b said:
The axcalibur blades are the same kerf thickness.
Ah but you have to be careful - it's not that simple...

... I was caught out. The other dimension that matters, and is rarely stated online, is the thickness of the saw plate (the metal disc that carries all the teeth for anyone not used to all this).

Axminster to their credit (and my chagrin) do state that their 160mm blades are unsuitable for plunge saws. I thought, "they're really inexpensive and I have a rough job to do, and they have a narrower kerf than the Makita ones, so they should be fine."

Not so. The teeth stick out either side of the plate, obviously. Even if they cut a significantly thin kerf (1.7mm versus 2.2mm, IIRC) If the plate is really thin, they stick out more to the sides.

Now here's the rub, literally: the blade's has one side of the saw plate is clamped tightly to the arbour on the spindle, and that is a fixed horizontal distance from the rubber strip. Thus the position of the "inner" edge of the kerf, right next to the rubber, is determined by the tooth projection from the saw plate surface and nothing else.

In the case of the Axminster blades, the teeth stick out too far, sideways from the saw plate. So, although the kerf is quite a bit less than the proper blades, you will end up re-cutting the rubber strip, meaning you have to replace it if you go back to the proper blades at a later date (and you still want the best possible results).

I recommend not discovering this when you use your new 3m rail for the first time (DAMHIK).

To change the subject very slightly, the "proper" blades for Makita and Festool are different again: Makita ones are officially 165mm diameter, whereas Festool ones are 160mm. It's complicated further because Makita make blades to fit Festool (160mm), and these are branded identically, apart from one small number on the blade and the pack.

I've puzzled over this too. It's annoying because it throws off the depth scale on the Makita (if using a "festool" blade, you have to add 2.5mm to the depth you want and set the scale to that), but I think there's a reason other than diameter as such which is why Festool chose the size they have:

Old-style circular saw blades will ring like a bell, because they're made of springy metal and they're highly symmetrical. This means they're extremely noisy in use, but it also means the cut will be rough: The rim behaves like a cymbal hit by a drumstick, and vibrates sideways. If you want a really good clean kerf you need to damp this as much as possible.

So Festool's blades are small diameter and thick, so that the resonance is high frequency and small amplitude, and the choice works well. They are still big enough to cut to depth in most normal kitchen worktops. I think Makita thought they might squeeze slightly more depth of cut from the system, without roughening the kerf too much (plus the possibility of purchasers having to buy really uncommon blades from Makita!).

To get a really good finish you really do need that thick saw plate, and it will probably be better with 160mm blades (very, very slightly). And I need to get round to making a depth conversion table and sticking it on my saw!

And finally, the inexpensive rip blade I got to do one quick job, was a failure: it cut the rubber strip, it cut the rubber strip roughly (because it vibrated), and it produced long stringy sawdust which the extraction system really didn't like at all (it didn't clog, but nearly did). So I have learned a lot from my experiment!

Ho hum, life is never simple.

Don't know which axi blades you have used Eric, but the axcalibur one I have is not 1.7mm it's 2.2… same as the festool. I have been alternating between a stock festool and the axi and have had no issues with recutting the strips.

I bought a 48T Stehle blade for my TS55 from Tom at Prosharp.co.uk, can't remember the cost but definitely cheaper than original.. He did a top job on my 2 Festool blades and the 2from my DW708.

If you watch and hunt around you will often get the festool blades for reasonable prices.

Peter is right about the 28 tooth blade - gives a good finish, I'll only use the 48 tooth if it's for 'special' jobs.

1.7mm kerf sounds like a blade for a cordless saw (I think the cordless festool blades are 1.8mm). There might well be riving knife problems if you try these on a ts55.

Pick a brand and stick with it (whatever one!) it will save Cucumbering around with the splinter strip if you keep changing the blades.

To add to Matt Roberts experience - the other week I was using the Festool TS55 to cut some ply on the MFT top with parf dogs to hold the piece square and just as the cut was finishing there was a shower of silvery particles. I had carelessly positioned one of the dogs in the line of the cut and ended up with a rather artistic groove right through the top of it. Blade is fine - but i'm glad that the dogs are ally and not steel!

Woodmonkey":2e402vf0 said:
Don't know which axi blades you have used Eric, but the axcalibur one I have is not 1.7mm it's 2.2… same as the festool. I have been alternating between a stock festool and the axi and have had no issues with recutting the strips.

Thanks, WM.

It sounds as though Axminster stock something different now, compared to when I bought mine, IIRC). I'm off to work in a min, but I"ll try to remember to have a look when I get in later. The part no is probably on the packaging, which is what I keep the blade in.

Back