busman's holiday anyone

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffinfrance

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all,

i'm toying with the idea of getting some help.

i've got a lot of work on and could do with another pair of hands.

sure i can get an apprentice for peanuts from the state, but......don't think it will help.

to start i could offer a one month contract, full board and lodging, all expenses paid and a bit of filthy lucre.

work involved: wide and varied.

current/recent work involves making doors int & ext, windows, double glazing existing windows, shutters, wardrobes, kitchens, bespoke skirtings/mouldings, wood panelling and i have two complete interior rennovations on the go, with another looming.

anyone seriously intersted?

jeff

Hi Jeff , not to pour cold water but have you thought about liability insurance and the other issues that attach to hiring someone on a formal contract.

you might be better taking someone self employed, and charging them rent on the board and lodging set against the pay

i think thats how i was going to work it. speaking to the accountant monday.

liability insurance could be an issue, workshop's not a deathtrap, but i'm sure it wouldn't be up to code. it does need sorting at some stage though.

i'm trying to work out a long term solution, but want to see if the principle might work first.

jeff

Ain't JoinerSim out of a job at the moment - be a good way to see some other part of the world for a month or so. Unless you've got bills\headaches\mortgage that is. :oops:

If I didn't have - what's the word? Responsibilities - I'd be over like a shot!

Dibs

Edit - just read the other thread, seems he isn't unemployed any more.

just congratulated him myself dibs, you never know 30 days here and you might want to get rid of those headaches permanently.

all the best,

jeff

It sounds like a great opportunity for someone! There have been quite a few like myself recently on the forums looking for work. I'm sure that the position will be snapped up quickly.

jeffinfrance":2jf13fpf said:
.. you never know 30 days here and you might want to get rid of those headaches permanently.

all the best,

jeff

Unfortunately those other headaches :wink: have legs, can travel and would turn up to show piccies of (not my clothges they've cut up) but what they've done to my cars, tools and the cats that now dung in my shed. :shiver: :lol:

Dibs

Have you considered Woofers (www.wwoof.org)? I know there is an emphasis on farming, but we have certainly had them doing other jobs (helping build an extension for one) and it fits exactly with what you are offering, i.e. board and lodging in exchange for labour.

Regards,

Henry

i would certainly entertain the short term gig's too jim. it can be warm enough to eat outside on christmas day, but then again we had snow three times last march.

shall i pencil you in?

thanks for that link henry, although i am after skilled lablour. i'll check them out now.

cheers again,

jeff

hi all,

sure i can get an apprentice for peanuts from the state, but......don't think it will help.

to start i could offer a one month contract, full board and lodging, all expenses paid and a bit of filthy lucre.

current/recent work involves making doors int & ext, windows, double glazing existing windows, shutters, wardrobes, kitchens, bespoke skirtings/mouldings, wood panelling and i have two complete interior rennovations on the go, with another looming.

jeff

I'd literally bite your hand off if I'd finished my C&G in Carpentry and Joinery at college as I've got friends in Alençon and whilst I can speak French to quite an extent I'm wanting to improve to the point that I'm almost if not fully fluent and after discussion with some people immersion in the country seemed the best route.

I currently work in the trade whilst I'm training in the evenings and deal a lot with the importation of chêne and other species but like I said if only you'd have posted this here next February when college is all signed off and I'm free to practise the dark art of wood butchering whilst my certificate hangs on the wall I'd be on my merry way, lol.

chances are, i'll still be looking in the spring.

keep in touch stig.

all the best, and good luck,

jeff

chances are, i'll still be looking in the spring.

keep in touch stig.

I definitely keep this page linked and aim to get college signed off asap. I only need to complete my assessment piece and the necessary health and safety paperwork (not that the French have such a thing, lol).

Jamie

jeffinfrance":24ins60w said:
hi all,

jeff
I'd jump at that next year...not sure if SWIMBO would be happy for me to swan off to 'la belle France' for a month though 8-[ - Rob

Not sure if SWIMBO would be happy for me to swan off to 'la belle France' for a month though

Just say your popping out for some milk and a paper! How long do you think it'd be before she'd notice you were missing?

Besides, I'm sure if you returned with a big bar of Milka she'd soon forgive you!

if anyone is seriously interested, please pm me. there are definately opportunities here....for the right applicant.

how's the thaw going over there? still no snow here yet, warming up a bit too. into double figures today so better get the t shirts out again!

all the best,

jeff

to start i could offer a one month contract, full board and lodging, all expenses paid and a bit of filthy .......

My PC dragged down to this point, and I was very interested. If you'd have said 'frenchbird' you'd have found your man!

We have a house in Normandy, near Valmont-ish, and will be over there for a long period early next year- I think. I haven't been able to get there for nigh on a year!! How far are you from Normandy?

We are in the process of replacing the windows in the house; I was telling a fella today that if you put a semi like mine in the UK in the middle of the village (Les Petits Dalles - The Little Stones) the locals would think it was the devils work and tear it limb from limb! The architecture in that area is SO superior looking, at least, to what we have in the UK. Or at least in Bedford. Spires, shutters, beautiful windows etc etc...

Anyway, if this is a possibility for you then please respond. Otherwise ignore me.

Cheers all.

Neil

hi neil,

you couldn't be much further away in the same country. i'm down near the pyrenees.

good luck with your rennovation.

jeff

Back