Burst water main,fixed but new lid has a lock. Know the key?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bm101

Lean into the Curve
Reaction score
Left the house last Saturday morning at 6 to got Ascot on a stag do. Gah! Main stopcock (it's on my driveway unlike the neighbours for some reason) is kaput. Water everywhere. What would you do? Like any sensible soul I told the Mrs to phone the water mob and went on my merry way to Ascot. Lovely day it was as well. With hindsight I realise it was the right decision. It's nice when you prove to yourself that you were right all along I find. 8)
Due to the fact that you could technically fill a glass after a few minutes we weren't classed as emergency so when they did see fit to turn up Monday morning I was at work.

They did a tidy job so fair play but they put a locking lid on it and I can't seem to find it online. Devious beggers! I want access to it. I fitted a new full bore isolating valve where the mains enters the house but I want the reassurance of being able to turn it off outside the house if necessary. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Looks like it might be a 2 pronged key that you insert and turn. I have a long stopcock key. I also want to check they haven't fitted a meter on the quiet lol. Anyone know the key type?

Thanks

Chris

ai7ACvn.jpg

Fantastic. Thanks a million. I was getting nowhere with it.

Much appreciated
Chris

Ask the water board for a key.
Unless things have changed recently, you are the owner and therefore responsible for the water pipe from the stopcock to the house. You need access to it for this reason.
Do you have a water meter inside this cover?

Not unless they fitted one the other day mate. I might give them a bell as you say. Just seems a bit odd. Why have a lock on it?

Bm101":11vf2ivf said:
Why have a lock on it?

Some little b******* can't leave anything alone and metal thefts are quite common. We've had full on 2 foot by 2 foot manhole covers stolen round here.

Maybe. For you. :D
For me, with no metal skills or tools it might be a little more tricky. Unless I'm missing your point and there's a way I can't envisage it might be better to buy one if I cant get one off the water company. No welder here. No scrap metal lying about. No clue. Wood tools I got. I'm not being sarky btw. Far from it, I just wouldn't have the first clue how to knock one up with my limited setup. I'd be interested how you'd go about it though.
Cheers
Chris

Edit: Sorry Woodpig I missed your reply. I think I'll send the water company and the manufacturer an email tomorrow see how I get on there.

I'd bend a bit of steel rod into a near rectangular C shape.
On the bottom add two bolts at the right spacing to fit the holes on the lid.
The other end of the C is the handle.

Metal is not magic or scary, it just another material like wood and plastic!

Myfordman":3lvpo015 said:
I'd bend a bit of steel rod into a near rectangular shape.
On the bottom add two bolts at the right spacing to fit the holes on the lid.
The other end of the C is the handle.

Metal is not magic or scary, it just another material like wood and plastic!
I'm with you, it doesn't scare me, although I have a strong suspicion that blacksmithing is witchcraft of a sort. :D

Back