Burnishing cream

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippygeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone. I have crept over here from the scroll saw section in need of advice. I know a lot of you use burnishing cream on some of your creations and I would imagine your lathe is going at a rate of knots as you buff up the cream. I don't know if I will explain this correctly but will try. One of the many things I make is name signs from 20mm thick hardwoods. The letters of the name are cut out from inside the wood and at the most will be 10mm wide. I am filling the names with coloured resin, to give them more appeal. However, the wood is highly waxed poloshed but the resin letters, which are level with the surface of the wood, remain dull, like a matt finish. I would like to give the letters a glossy finish and was wondering is burnishing cream would do the job.

I do not have a buffing machine but have a large drill press with variable speed that I could possible attach a mop or felt wheel to with a suitable mandril. If you have any ideas I would really appreciate your comments. Many thanks in advance.

if you get some Micro Mesh pads and sand up to 12.000 with them then use burnishing cream,you`ll get a finnish like glass,even if hand sanded,cheers,

Eric.

What are you protecting the wood with, are you sealing it prior to infilling with resin?

Buffing on a pillar drill is feasible but potentially messy due to centrifugal spray.

Problem I envision is your inability to abrade the resin without doing likewise on the adjacent wood.

Can you not surface coat the whole assembly with a lacquer or clear resin Rustins plastic

Many thanks Eric and Chas. I looked up the Rustins plastic finish and it looks good. I had never thought of spray on laquer and that sounds the best option. I have been dipping the wood in teak oil to bring out the beauity of the grain and then wax polishing with Liberon black bison and when all thats done filling the letters with resin in the hope that will be the final stage. However I will leave the wood unfinished and then fill with resin and see how the laquer looks. Thanks again.

Chippygeoff":3tcyxxav said:
...However I will leave the wood unfinished and then fill with resin and see how the laquer looks. Thanks again.

You may want to use a sanding sealer on the wood before the coating to avoid uneven absorption, Pete (Bodrighy) may be able to advise regarding the need as he uses the Rustins regularly.

Rustins gives a gloss finish all on it's own but you need to give several thin coats rather than one thick one. I would advise giving the wood a coat of sealer prior to adding the resin as the resin on bare wood could mark the surrounding wood. When the resin is set sand back with at least 400 perhaps going to the higher grades as Eric suggests. Ideally do it with either a wide sanding disc or a block though as the wood will abrade more than the resin and you could be left with it looking proud. The Rustins can be put straight onto the bare wood but I usually put a coat of sealer on first as different woods will soak it up more than others as Chas intimates.

Hope that helps

Pete

Not sure if this will be of any use but as a youngster i used to make a lot of model kits. One of the tricks I used to use to polish up the windows of models was yo use a small blob of toothpaste on a sponge or paper towel. with a little elbow grease you can get a really good finish on plastic type materials. I have also used it on jewellery and glass.

I cannot believe you lot.......
We get a visit from the flat side and nobody put the kettle on ?
What will they think of us ?

Many thanks Guys. Excellent advice that is much appreciated. Where would we be without this wonderful forum to help those who are not sure of the way forward.

Grahamshed":3dn8v9ik said:
I cannot believe you lot.......
We get a visit from the flat side and nobody put the kettle on ?
What will they think of us ?
=D> =D> =D> =D>

Hi Geoff
I have a spare little 'sample' bottle of Micro Mesh acrylic polish if you'd like it - great for getting a glass like finish on resin. PM me your address and I'll pop it in the post or if you're passing Cross Hands any time soon pop in, I'm 2 minutes off the A48 not far from the Smiths Arms.

Hi Nev. Many thanks for your kind offer. I am not in St Clears anymore. I moved to Llandybie so I am only a stones throw from Cross hands. I can't remember now where the Smiths Arms is, is it in Cefneithin. Anyway, It would be great to meet up with you somewhere.

Back