Bulk cleaning old dirty and rusty tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffff

Established Member
Reaction score
I've recently been given 6 large boxes of hand tools to sort through - and if I want, keep. None of them have been used for 20 years and I would imagine most of them are far older than that. Nearly all of them have signs of rust, moving parts are stiff and they are generally grimey. I'd like to get them cleaned up - certainly the ones I want to keep, but if its not too time consuming, I'd like to clean them all and return them to the owner in a better condition :)

I've read a few threads on here which have discussed restoration of tools - but often with the context of preserving patinas or otherwise being 'gentle' with the restoration process. The corro-dip method looks like it isn't too labour intensive and gets good results. I've also seen the microcrystaline wax method - which also gets good results (but needs a bit more elbow grease it seems).

My question is - since I don't care about preserving any patina or keeping the 'character' of a tool - is corro-dip still my best bet? Or is there another method that is perhaps a bit less gentle, but produces better/faster/cheaper results? I don't have a lathe.

I'd say 50% of the tools have wooden handles, 25% are all-metal and the final 25% have some sort of plastic on them. I imagine this might make a difference in restoration options.

thanks

i used http://www.bilthamber.com/deox-c which is probably much the same as the others, but is a powder form. made it with hot water and just left it to it. quick scrub of any stubborn bits with a toothbrush or fingernail. when i looked it worked out cheaper than the others because postage was cheap.

jeffff":2khn7cya said:
My question is - since I don't care about preserving any patina or keeping the 'character' of a tool - is corro-dip still my best bet? Or is there another method that is perhaps a bit less gentle, but produces better/faster/cheaper results? I don't have a lathe.

I would recommend that if you do not care about the patina or character of the tools, it would be polite to leave the returned tools as they are, or at most cleaned up with some turpentine and a toothbrush. At least I have seen far too many beautiful antique tools butchered with good intentions and harsh methods. The next person going through the tools may appreciate the patina and will cry bitter tears looking at the over-cleaned tools.

For the tools you are about to keep, reneissance wax is a very good method, and you can use corro-dip for more rusty tools. But if you really want to do a favour to the owner of the tools (and future people taking their share from the tools), just clean them up with turpentine or paraffine, rags and a toothbrush. They'll look lot nicer with the old grime and dust removed, and you are doing nothing that would lower the value or ruin the patina for the rest of the tools.

Pekka

Pekka Huhta":2wzavneu said:
jeffff":2wzavneu said:

I would recommend that if you do not care about the patina or character of the tools, it would be polite to leave the returned tools as they are, or at most cleaned up with some turpentine and a toothbrush. At least I have seen far too many beautiful antique tools butchered with good intentions and harsh methods. The next person going through the tools may appreciate the patina and will cry bitter tears looking at the over-cleaned tools.

For the tools you are about to keep, reneissance wax is a very good method, and you can use corro-dip for more rusty tools. But if you really want to do a favour to the owner of the tools (and future people taking their share from the tools), just clean them up with turpentine or paraffine, rags and a toothbrush. They'll look lot nicer with the old grime and dust removed, and you are doing nothing that would lower the value or ruin the patina for the rest of the tools.

Pekka

I'm with Pekka on this one but I wouldn't suggest you touched them at all.

If you don't care about the character of the tools put them back in the box and give them back to the person who gave them to you or someone who does.

J

For the tools you intend to keep, You should treat them how you see fit... For the others I'd check with the owner before doing anything too radical, then proceed as per their wishes.

I don't quite get why patina is worth getting so overwrought about; With tools, like all antiques,some will be worthwhile preserving and some are better being restored... So long as the functional bit of the tool is not damaged, it doesn't really matter, anything that maintains these tools to reach the hands of another generation of woodworkers is surely better than letting them rust.

There's some good advice been given. If you don't see the distinctions that other people are making, the safest advice is to hold back.

But it's difficult without seeing the tools - if they are just poor quality diy-grade tools they won't deserve the sort of care that quality antiques would. I suggest that you put some pictures up and let people offer some specific answers which should be more use to you than generalisations.

Thanks for all the replies. Point taken on the chance of spoiling something that might be appreciated by others. I think the majority of the tools are probably diy grade - the previous owners weren't enthusiasts or professionals. I've not yet had time to sort them, but when I do, I'll post a pic :)

Back