Bulk Buying MDF

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi

Quick question for all you pros out there. My other half has just got a job in a national joinery firm and she has been asked to find some prices for bulk buying MDF. Delivery predominatley to Southampton, but could be anywhere in the UK. She reckons that they get through about 400 sheets of 2440x1220 18mm MDF a month :shock:, I get through about 1!! :lol: . Not sure what quality they require but I wondered if anyone here has any good suggeestions for suppliers? She has mentioned Edens, Lathams, Travis Perkins and Jewsons but she is trying to impress and find a reliable, cheap supplier. Enough waffling for now, has anyone got any ideas???

Rgds

Saint

At that level, maybe the manufacturers would talk to you direct?

The Saint":1nmncs6a said:
Hi

Quick question for all you pros out there. My other half has just got a job in a national joinery firm and she has been asked to find some prices for bulk buying MDF. Delivery predominatley to Southampton, but could be anywhere in the UK. She reckons that they get through about 400 sheets of 2440x1220 18mm MDF a month :shock:, I get through about 1!! :lol: . Not sure what quality they require but I wondered if anyone here has any good suggeestions for suppliers? She has mentioned Edens, Lathams, Travis Perkins and Jewsons but she is trying to impress and find a reliable, cheap supplier. Enough waffling for now, has anyone got any ideas???

Rgds

Saint

On that sort of amount why not look abroad or direct from a manufacturer! \:D/

Hi Saint,

I'm just down the road from you in Romsey.
When I wanted 50 sheets of 18mm ply, I got pack prices from Edens and used those to negotiate with Jewsons in totton. They equalled Edens price and yet offered me delivery of a few sheets at a time with crane off where as Edens expect the purchaser to fork it off their wagon. None of Edens wagons have Hiab cranes on.

I would assume that a similar bargaining position would exist with MDF sheet.

Good luck

Bob

Did I misread it? I thought it said 4000 before.

400, yes, Silvermans, Edens, etc. There must be timber/panel importers based in Soton?

Thanks for the quick replies!

Bob, just down the road, I'm practically in your back pocket!!! Lived most of my life (i'm only 33!!) in Braishfield :D.

Anyone got any names of manufacturers in the UK. I know of Medite (sierra Pine in N. America) and Caber (imported by CPC in Galsgow), any alternatives?

Just seen Silvermans website. That could be interesting, thanks JFC.

Thanks again. Well thanks from SWMBO anyway. I'll get nothing out of this you know. It will be all pats on the back at the office tomorrow, "aren't you clever". Little do they know that she is backed up by the army of knowledge on UKW. Well my overspending might be overlooked for a week or two!!

Rgs

Saint

The Saint":fl1etv2l said:
Thanks again. Well thanks from SWMBO anyway. I'll get nothing out of this you know.

You might get something out of this, surely they can't use all of the 8x4 sheet, must have offcuts you can use for jigs etc. :lol: :lol:

As others have said you're almost at mill quantities, there. I know a couple of firms (pallet makers) who buy chipboard from the mills - minimum load for them is about 60 tonnes (or 1200 sheets)

Manufacturers who process (either MFC, chipboard or MDF) in the UK are Medite down in Kent, Egger in the North East, Caber down in Devon and Kronospan at Chirk. Other firms represented here include Finsa (Spain), Sonae (France/Belgium) and Depalor (France) although you may also find that companies processing board into veneered sheet, such as Triesse in North Yorkshire would be willing to sell "overstock" at a reasonable price in the quantities you are talking about.

Scrit

Thanks everyone.

Due to the fact that a lot of the materials have to be delivered to site in various qty's (40, 20, etc) they have decided to go down the explore the silvermans/edens route.

Just as a side note, they had to pay £15.90 for 20 2440x1220 18mm mdf sheets from travis perkins!!! I think that I could get my 1 sheet per month delivered for that price!

Thanks again for all your help.

Rgds

Saint

Back