Building regs experts - new door in a flat - fire door?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HandyAndy

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been asked to install a new door set in a flat (old Victorian building with 6 self contained flats - this one is on the top (3rd) floor) - this is a brand new door, not replacing an old door, going into a corridor to sub-divide the flat. Not sure why he wants it but it would effectively isolate a bedroom and bathroom from the rest of the flat and exit. So the exit route from the bedroom would be bedroom door -> new door -> flat front door -> lots of stairs -> main entrance / exit. I'm not sure whether the existing doors are fire doors and I didn't see any intumescent seals.

Any idea whether this new door needs to be a fire door? In fact, does this need building regs approval??

TIA!

Andy

When my landlord had the doors in my flat replaced, all the doors off the hall had to be fire resistant and have self closers, that included the bathroom, bedroom, living room and the front door out onto the communal areas. I cant remember what the time rating on the doors had to be, but I door remember the building inspector having a fit because the builders had took the labels off the doors before the inspection.

Needs to be fire door. When ever I've worked on flats, everything apart from the bathroom door needs to be a fire door.

So even though this is an *extra* door do you think it still needs to be a fire door? What if the bedroom door is already a fire door? (I doubt it is mind) I might play safe and get them to speak to building regs. Hate working in flats anyway. :)

Andy, speak to building regs, the door is almost certainly going to be a fire door. They may not allow a completely new door to be fitted as it would further impede escape in the event of a fire.

jordec66":2c1y4mmf said:
Andy, speak to building regs, the door is almost certainly going to be a fire door. They may not allow a completely new door to be fitted as it would further impede escape in the event of a fire.
Yup, my thoughts too - cheers all for the comments! Considering they already turned down one job 'cause they found someone cheaper (and I wasn't that expensive) I wouldn't be heartbroken to lose this one. :)

Back