Buffing systems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi LW.

I don't think you can get anything that is just for timber in the buffing line. 'He said, cowering.' to my knowledge that is. The criteria is fine soaps (abrasives) and fine soft mops (wheels). Don;t forget your only working on lacquer finishes and so on, which are fairly soft even when cured. I use a soap called 'Tripoli' which is a brown colour and fairly fine. Then there is a white soap you can use on paler woods. You then finish off with either, a paste wax buffed, or Carnuba on a mop.

I generally use 3 mops, and this is on either coated wood, or on the bare wood itself. Which is something no one has mentioned yet, that when using the finer grained timbers, Yew, Blackwood, Box, and so on you can just use the mops & soaps they come up great.

You must be careful using this procedure on open grained woods, you can fill the grain with soap and it takes ages to get it out. I use old tooth brushes.

PS - First time I have ever seen anything in print about buffing wood here from someone who actually supplies the goods. They all seem very knowledgeable about metal, but not timber.

Tam - nice information. Thanks. Strange that you use the Glosswax before the Atol polishing compound. Would have expected the Glosswax to be last on :?

I'm going to order the starter kit. If it's designed for metals etc, can't do any harm on wood, as you say. Thanks again Tep.

Lightweeder":36s4r1t4 said:
Tam - nice information. Thanks. Strange that you use the Glosswax before the Atol polishing compound. Would have expected the Glosswax to be last on :?

I'm going to order the starter kit. If it's designed for metals etc, can't do any harm on wood, as you say. Thanks again Tep.

Don't quite know what you mean LW. :oops: About the Glosswax and Atol?

Keep your eyes peeled for this UK manufactured/assembled kit, might be of interest to those considering acquiring a buffing system.

Should be in a well known UK Suppliers catalogue in the very near future, the picture below is a pre production mock-up of the basic kit, there will be a domed (bowl internals) set of mops as well I believe.
mops.jpg

Knowing the supplier I would expect all components to be available as separate items as spares etc.

Attachments

• mops.jpg
    mops.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 80
TEP":3vdcodwp said:
Lightweeder":3vdcodwp said:

Don't quite know what you mean LW. :oops: About the Glosswax and Atol?

Tam - on that guidance sheet you posted from The Polishing Shop, they say :

Process 1) 113GZP Brown compound with a B quality loose mop
Process 2) Glosswax 16 Beige compound with a G quality loose mop
Process 3 ) Atol 6 Beige compound with a WDR loose quality mop, for darker lacquers/plastics where a perfect finish is required then use G52 white.

I would have expected the rubbing compound to be used before the Glosswax.

LW

Ah! didn't read the sheet #-o #-o .

Have now read it and if you go to the half bar soap page 'Glosswax' is still slightly abrasive, while 'Atoll' looks non-abrasive and is purely for finishing. I think the 'wax' is misleading in this context.

Just saying how I do it, I have 3 mops, but often I will only use the one, plus Carnuba. . I only ever use the lot if I think the work needs it. Only two are for abrasive soaps, the third is for Carnuba wax. No reason not to follow that sheet, but as long as it works for me I will stick with the way I do it. As with ALL things in this hobby, listen and learn, then using that, find your own ways which suit you. That's the beauty of this there are really no hard and fast rules, just what works. :wink:

I hear what you're saying TEP, and if you've found something that does work for you, I wouldn't mess about with it either, but since I saw the work that guy in the craft shop had done, I'll be happy with nothing less. I'm not getting that sort of finish and, frankly, don't know which direction to go in. I don't want a glossy, artificial finish, but just a hard glass-like sheen.

Latest posts

Back