broken pulley wheel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trojan62

Established Member
Reaction score
hi
on the high speed part of the pulley wheel a piece has snapped off making the lathe run very roughly at this speed.
can you make your own or would i need to buy a new one and if so where is the best place for spares. the lathe is a 3 speed model.

thanks

its called the alpine machine, a pretty obscure lathe, as ive never found any info about it at all on the net, its an old 1980 made in taiwan machine that i picked up recently.

regards

chris....

heres some pics

Attachments

• 2014-06-29 20.14.03 (Small).jpg
    2014-06-29 20.14.03 (Small).jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 1,109
  • 2014-06-29 20.14.14 (Small).jpg
    2014-06-29 20.14.14 (Small).jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,109
  • 2014-06-29 20.14.23 (Small).jpg
    2014-06-29 20.14.23 (Small).jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 1,109
That doesn't look very pretty, no wonder it's running rough.

Looking at the state of the end of the shaft and the crack on the opposite side to the damaged area on the pulley, I'd say someone has tried to get the pulley off with a puller and made a bit of a mess.

If it's an odd size it might be easier to live with it in two speed form and take your time sourcing a good replacement lathe.

hi folks
if anyone has a spare knocking around, these are the measurements

size of the whole pulley is : front to back 40mm
spindle shaft size 15mm
broken part 45 mm
middle wheel 65 mm
3 rd wheel, next to tailstock 90 mm

hope this helps

regards

chris......

Judging by the measurements it could take the narrow z belt rather than the normal A belt if this is the case it could be more of a problem

Looking at this is it worth messing about with would it be better to buy a better lathe. If not then another option is take it off without breaking it any more take it to your local Engineering company and see how much they would charge to either make it complete or clean off the broken pulley and remake and attach a new piece.

Is that lathe like this one:

http://www.proveiling.nl/1615/Faill...-type-Hu1000-2-bouwjaar-1993/Kavel.aspx#fotos

I see the square holder for the bearings and I wonder. That is a fairly common lathe in the Netherlands, sold mostly under the Huvema name in the past.

I don't think that lathe is worth investing a lot of money in. You could turn a round wooden plate, bolt that to the pulley and use that to build the pulley up with epoxy, afterwards turning it down so you get a smooth rim?

Back