broadband?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbutcher

Established Member
Reaction score
hello all a simple question .

which one?

my son has moved out and is having his broadband disconnected. \:D/

woodbutcher.

if your son does a lot of downloading then Zen and similar that have no 'fair use' enforcement are essential. Don't go with Pipex (I am with them and have no issues,) - my son streams video tv etc and got blocked for fair use most nights).

He moved to Zen and had no problems

Would not know which one I would go for but I do not think I would renew my contract with Orange based on the issues experienced when upgraded to their livebox service - nearly one month without connection a load of calls to script jockeys who told me a load of rubbish.

Try and find a provider that has a good customer service record and preferably low cost support or no cost support lines. Hopefully you will not need their support but if you do you will be glad that you researched the field rather than just go on cheapest.

I for one will be interested to see others thoughts on good providers - as Roger mentioned Zen seems to get positive reports

Cheers :D
Tony

If you are in an area that has been cabled, go for VirginMedia cable broadband. The download speed they state, is the download speed you get. None of this "up to 8MB" nonsense. In the 5 years I have been with Virgin, I have only ever had one drop in connection, which was sorted out within hours.

They do have a fair usage policy, but you have to download a lot to activate it. Even then they only slow your speed, they don't disconnect you.

Virgin's 20MB service is cheaper than Zen's top package (which is still "up to 8MB), and there are no download limits.

There 4MB service is soon to change to 10MB. It is a no brainer IMO. Assuming, of course, you can get it.

Hope this helps.

Anyone bar Tiscali would be my view. They even have a fully manned complaints dept at Milton Keynes. They threatened me with court action for non-payment of their account, I didn't even have an account!
I had cancelled it months before and they had acknowledged it, but nobody talked to their accounts I reckon. They shout unlimited access, then tell you about fair use, exceed they definition and the whole thing S L O W S D O W N.
I'm with sky and no probs.

In your local exchange (your son's)You will have adsl,
but he could have adsl2 (Better).I would find out first!

Digit":2fbspb13 said:
Anyone bar Tiscali would be my view. They even have a fully manned complaints dept at Milton Keynes. They threatened me with court action for non-payment of their account, I didn't even have an account!
I had cancelled it months before and they had acknowledged it, but nobody talked to their accounts I reckon. They shout unlimited access, then tell you about fair use, exceed they definition and the whole thing S L O W S D O W N.
I'm with sky and no probs.

I'm with Tiscali, and know what you mean about SLOWSDOWN. But pricewise, its a pretty good package (Landline, Broadband and unlimited calls to landline numbers 24/7 for £20 per month). Most of the time the connection is fine, but it can be so infuriating when it just dies for no apparent reason.

Cheers

Karl

If you go to Moneysavingexpert.com there is a full lowdown on the options available
Plus they admit its a lottery on customer service even with the same company

Cheers Nigel

Well,,,my 2 cents would be - BT,,,yes,,you probably pay more,,,but when it goes phut,,,u call one company,,,they cant play pass the blame between providers,,,Tiscali blames BT who blames Tiscali,,,etc, etc,,,

We had a ISDN line before we went for ADSL, and have to say BT have been as good as gold for me,,,

Well,,,my 2 cents would be - BT,,,yes,,you probably pay more,,,but when it goes phut,,,u call one company

Legally this is not the case
Bt yahoo/internet [(openworld) The adsl reseller] are not allowed to talk to BT openreach (the line provider/maintainer) or BT wholesale (the ADSL eqpt provider) in any way that might be seen as preferential treatment. This means that Bt internet have to jump through the same hoops and processes as any other provider to achieve a fault repair there is no direct line of communication. This is adhered to on a very strict basis and crossing the boundaries is a sackable offence as the licence is in jeopardy.
This is progress :roll: to deliberately impede the resolution of some problems because of regulation. I see it everyday and the customer has no idea what's going on. For the record though I used to have pipex and now have BTinternet and have only experienced problems with a home hub slowing down ..kicked that into touch and no probs.

Alan

True,,,,but something to consider is that all of the BT stuff,,,openreach, internet etc,,,are all controlled from the same network control centre..

As far as home hub is concerned,,,,Bin it,,,go buy a decent wireless router,,personally I like Netgear,,,and remember to change the passwords and setup the firewall and away u go,,,

Must go and sit in garage / workshop / sawdust store now,,,,to much techie talk,,,,,ARGHHHHHHHH

If you are in an area that has been cabled, go for VirginMedia cable broadband
????

I've been cabled, but always thought that the cabling provider - Smallworld in my case had exclusive rights?

Chris.

nahh....tells me I'm in a non-cable area !

My problem is we get free 24/7 phone calls, 1mb Broadband and TV (in a bad reception area) for £30/month......but the broadband continuity is rubbish.

Chris

Latest posts

Back