British Woodworking Issue 2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
I recieved my copy in the post yesterday (Thanks for sending that out so quickly Nick). And I have to say that I'm quite impressed with the content. Although I managed to read most of the articles in the last issue, I didn't actually get chance to buy it and re-read through it so this was my first chance to really dig into the mag and see what's what.

The two features that stand out for me are the 'Foundations' section - which is excellent for relative newcomers like myself, and the 'Country Carpenter' that was a really good read.

It's nice to see the forum getting a few mentions.

Quite timely was the article by David Savage on using Sycamore. I've recently bought a fair bit of this wood with the intentions of a number of projects, so there was some good reading there.

Overall, I really like the layout - it feels more professional than GW but not as 'designer' as F&C so for me its a good balance. I like the spread of features as well and the writing is good too.

Obviously being a new mag it's a little light, BUT what is in there for me is still worth the money and I guess over time we'll see more projects and equally good articles.

Good work Nick, lets hope the future issues continue this trend.

I thought that the second issue was far better than issue one, and I am seriously thinking of kicking my monthly subs on a well known magazine into touch, as that has certainly gone downhill.

Thanks. I agree with Sawdust Producer: issue two is a big improvement. Thanks to everyone who has contributed and supported us.

And sorry to Mike Hancock at Classic Hand Tools (www.classichandtools.com) because we forgot to mention he'd organised our interview with the planemaker Konrad Sauer at the Festival of the Tree at Westonbirt in August. It was a superb event, with loads of visitors, and there's a funny blog on Konrad's website (www.sauerandsteiner.com) about it.

Nick

PS Do email me if you're having difficulty finding the mag.

I echo the other posts here - not quite got to the end yet but liked the country carpenter article best. It was interesting to see that the French have double rebated doors - it looks to make a more complicated build but no doubt is better sealed.

I wonder what other 'radically' different design standards there are for doors, windows etc around the world

I agree the mag is looking good. Mine hit the mat last Friday :shock:

I hope however to see less articles by Nick Gibbs once you get going.
Or at least NO photos of the said Nick [-o< [-o< :lol:
There must be lots of folks on this forum who would do a good one just to see their name in print.

I enjoyed the little joke in the articles for sale section :lol:

Thanks for noticing the joke. Bit of trench humour!

I too would love there to be less of me in the mag. Actually I think there are fewer pix of my mug in issue 2 than issue 1.

You probably can't imagine the shoestring the mag is produced with, in my spare room, with my life savings and some enthusiasm, plus great help from loyal contributors. But I can only afford to pay for a certain number of contributions, so I have to write a fair amount myself.

When you are creating something new you have to do a lot yourself to set the tone and show people what you are attempting to achieve. Already Gordon Fry (The Country Carpenter) and Alan Wood (with his Foundations articles) have joined the team having seen what the mag is trying to be.

If a deluge of subscribers was to arrive in the post tomorrow I would be able to invest more in external contributors, which would free me up to do other things. But that isn't how publishing works and we have to use our resources carefully to survive.

If anyone would like to contribute, has good ideas, and can think of ways I can reimburse them for their efforts I'd appreciate it.

Thanks to everyone for their support. We are receiving a growing number of responses from people who are hearing about the magazine from the forum.

Nick

Nick,

Don't be so sensitive mate!
the :lol: was supposed to indicate I was pulling your leg.

You are right I probably can't imagine what you are up against, but I did realise why you could not pay contributors -hence my comment.

Back