British woodworking - first impressions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I wrote that I knew someone would pick me up on the inaccuracy. You're absolutely right, Senior, the night's younger than I thought!!! Good luck with the refurb. And I know, from other emails I'm getting, that there are others out there working into the small hours.

Nightie, night!

No worries Nick.
There is plenty in the mag to keep me interested for the amount of reading i do for 2 months :wink:
Paul.J.

OPJ":2rnf3f9k said:
. Not that I condone a letter in their last issue strongly critisising the editor for the new direction. He was far too aggresive.

Are we talking of the latest issue of GWW? I couldn't find any reference. I have a lot of time for Nick.

I might get a little upset with the author of that letter!

John 8)

Some interesting articles in there, but although I haven't finished reading it all yet, I doubt I'll be buying another copy. The reason? I'm sorry to say that the sub-editing is as bad (I would guess non-existent) as it was when the mag. was Traditional Woodworking. In a paid-for publication there should be no excuse for typos, mis-spellings, bad grammar etc..

Sorry, Nick, but you'll have to try harder to get my pennies regularly.

I'd noticed some mistakes too. No one likes bad editing, least of all myself, but I guess, Nick, the simple excuse is that when you are doing something with so few resources, working through the night, night after night, to produce a magazine as good as you can, something has to break at the edges, and it is usually some typos and grammaticals here and there.

If that's what stops you buying a mag, then so be it, but it's a pity that you can't see that there's a price to producing something original and different and good to read, and the price are some errors. As many people have said in the past, you aren't trying hard enough if you aren't making mistakes.

If in a year's time we're still going, and we're still making mistakes, then I'll take it on the chin and say we're not doing well enough. But unless you've experienced launching a magazine perhaps you don't fully understand some of the pressures. I hope your furniture stands up to the same scrutiny, especially as my magazine cost you only a little more than a pint of beer.

Thanks anyway for buying the mag in the first place. I hope you will come to enjoy it in the future and I hope we will not be making as many mistakes, but I can't guarantee that because I'd prefer a mag with mistakes than one that's dull to read.

Nick

Hi Nick

Well 've read through my copy and I've got to say that I'm quite impressed. I've seen BWW in a couple of WM Smiths branches this week, but more interestingly it's also found its' way onto the shelves at my local newasgent (OK, they're an exception because they always get a few FWWs and stuff like American Woodworking, etc on top of the usual diet of British mags). It's early days, yet, but I'm hopeful that the magazine will develop into a "part of the scene". I must say that I particularly like the page corner "call outs" (os that what they're called?) which I think will make it easier to find articles of a given type. For me one of the highlight was Scott Woyka's blanket chest on the cover, a truly inspiring piece, although some more construction details would have been nice

Good luck with the magazine, Nick

Scrit

Hi Nick,

I got my copy ok, and I enjoyed it overall.
Much more depth than the usual British W/W mag. The adverts I know you must have, and I tolerat that.

Of course I would be 'waffling' if I said ieverything else was perfect.
There are one or two articles, or 'aticle-aleers' I am not too sure of, but more of that later.

I am going to subscribe, when I can get Good/Wood to understand I want to cancel!"

Regards

John

Thanks, John. You're right that it's far from perfect. There are many things I want to improve. In fact I was a bit disappointed at first, but I think that was largely launch blues. You seem to have gotten the point that it aims to go deeper than most magazines, and that requires some risk-taking!

We will keep trying to improve, listening to what people have to say, while holding onto our vision to produce the best possible woodworking magazine, full of passion and enthusiasm, but hopefully also accuracy and exactitude.

Nick

Nick,

Having sat in the seat and done the time I know how hard it is. The magazines I edited were printed in Cornwall and even after overnight drives to check proofs I can still remember picking up copies in WHS a week or so later and seeing literals on the first page I looked at....

I haven't had the copy of your new magazine yet but the Royal Mail strike seems to have had an effect on deliveries this side of London. I haven’t even had that telephone bill I ordered!

Ralph

Scrit":86t31iyx said:
Scott Woyka's blanket chest on the cover
Which makes it even more irritating that Mr Woyka's local branch of W H Smith didn't have a copy when I tried. But they did have the FWW special, which is bizarre 'cos I haven't seen a FWW down here in years. :? But anyway, Nick, I did try (and I didn't buy the FWW either) :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Rather late to the party, aren't I?

I just received a copy of Nick's British Woodworking. I've only quickly scanned it--after I got it away from Dina. She likes it and I like what I have seen.

Well done, Nick!

Take care, Mike

Latest posts

Back