British manufactured woodworking tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgot a good one, Thor Hammers, I like the copper and rawhide models for driving chisels, also for assembly without marring your work. The sizes go right up to what is essentially a sledgehammer in whatever material combination you want, and with nice ash or hickory handles.

I am in good company too, Richard Maguire and Paul Sellers both use these (but the plastic/nylon/rubber ones).

Biliphuster":1pljw2u1 said:
Forgot a good one, Thor Hammers, I like the copper and rawhide models for driving chisels, also for assembly without marring your work.

I am in good company too, Richard Maguire and Paul Sellers both use these (but the plastic/nylon/rubber ones).
I use one of those (nylon/rubber), not once did I consider it would by UK made. Awesome.

Just catching up with this thread and noticed someone listed Myford as a made in Britain product. Whilst this is true for some products even before the present owners took over there were items from the far east in the range. The VM milling machines being imported and then dismantled, fettled and re-assembeld in the UK, in a similar fashion to I believe Scheppach do with some machinery. The Mystro lathe was also produced for them in Taiwan at one stage in it's production.

The current owners of the Myford brand, RDG, have used the cachet of the name to market a wide range of far eastern accessories.

Tony Comber

It's a fair point. If we're going to have a meaningful list, we need to define "Made in the UK".

If someone can point to an official definition, that'll probably do, at least, I doubt we'll be able to do any better for practical purposes. I'm fairly certain there are rules about this, but I don't know what they are, and they may well vary depending on the nature of the product.

It's always going to be the case that some parts of anything complex will be made elsewhere. It's almost impossible, for example, to buy anything with electronics in it that doesn't have some components made in the Far East.

I'm still up for doing a table, and including as many manufacturers/brands/products as possible, but any pointers towards a workable definition would be appreciated.

Thinking further, we could have a category for 'designed in the UK' too, but that might get a bit complex.

Whilst I admire your enterprise in producing a spreadsheet I think you are going to give yourself a lot of work as you are probably going to have to list which type of products of any manufacturer come from UK factories. As an example I bought from Rutlands under their 'Dakota' brand a saw for trimming tennons and dowels. It's very good and prominently written on the blade is not US made, made in Taiwan or RoC but 'Made in Sheffield'. Not what I was expecting but a very pleasant surprise.

Tony Comber

I would start with things that are totally made in the UK, everything from raw materails to completed product are delt with thin the UK. After that think about what else to include.

I haven't given up on this but I've been unwell over the last fortnight and more recently had other pressing commitments.

I have found some definitions of "made in Britain", including legal ones. I'm looking at doing a pro forma email asking companies to list their applicable products. It should end up in several big tables, by category.

Later,

E.

What a wondful the ad. I try whenever to buy British in all things, but we should realy "buy the best" . It is a wonderful bonus if the best turns out to be British! Well done to all contributors.

Proving that my memory is never going to be as good as Mark Twain's, I just found out that we had a bit of a go at this question back in 2014. I was only thinking about Sheffield at the time, but the discussion widened out a bit, so for the sake of completeness here's a link to the earlier thread:

surviving-sheffield-tool-makers-t83293.html

Back