brief how to box-again!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornucopia

Established Member
Reaction score
this is how i do my box's - everyone has there own way- this isn't meant to be "the only way" or "you must do it this way" just a brief guide, as always find which way/tools work for you.

for this "how to" I used a very old piece of African blackwood which i have had in my house for several years, I would normally rough out the blank first to ensure that the fit of the lid stays as you left it but this blackwood wont move and i wanted to show the whole process.

This blank is 3" square by 5" long
DSCF5183-1.jpg

knocked into the round
DSCF5184-1.jpg

I forgot to take a pic but mark out the lid from the base and part them through with a very thin parting tool

heres the lid mounted in my chuck
DSCF5185-1.jpg

I hollowed out the inside using a spindle gouge on its side- then cut a female rebate this must have parallel sides if the lid is to make a good fit- sand a finish the inside now
DSCF5186-1.jpg

DSCF5187-1.jpg

mount the base in the jaws
DSCF5188-1.jpg

make a male tenon to fit the lid- at this stage you want to jam fit the lid onto the base to make the outside of the lid- i take a core out of the centre of the base at this point
DSCF5191-1.jpg

jam the lid on but make sure its not too tight as you cant remove it once the lids sanded :roll:
DSCF5190-1.jpg

heres the lid shaped-
DSCF5192-1.jpg

DSCF5193-1.jpg

while its jammed on work on the base- at this point you can see the whole form which helps with proportions etc
DSCF5195-1.jpg

I've now sanded to 800 grit
DSCF5197-1.jpg

DSCF5198-1.jpg

apply some lemon oil- here the oil is still wet, its such a dense wood it will stay wet for a few seconds
DSCF5201-1.jpg

here i've applied u-beaut eee by cloth, this helps when i will buff it later- you could leave it like this if you wish but the buffing will remove the very fine radial sanding marks that a cloth wont
DSCF5206-1.jpg

before you take the base out of the chuck remember to ease the fit of the lid with avery sharp skew and very fine cuts- a fraction of a shaving will make the difference between to tight and just right so take your time.

make a jam chuck from a bit of scrap wood- this is good lid fitting pratice.
DSCF5207-1.jpg

jam the base on and clean away the dovetail hold- sand and finish the base at this stage.
DSCF5210-1.jpg

now mount a jacobs chuck in the headstock and using a 6" loose leaf mop go over the box with a tiny bit of eee applied to the mop- hang on tight and only use the bottom quarter of the mop (between 6 and 9)keep a dedicated mop for each polish you use don't mix and match
DSCF5211-1.jpg

DSCF5212-1.jpg

next i mount another mop in the pigtail and apply u-beaut shellwax cream-this leaves a very high hard wearing shine which i like on dark woods
DSCF5214-1.jpg

I hope this is of some help- any questions just ask, if you don't want to ask here drop me a pm :D

George,

This is a magic looking box. :D
I have turned a couple of small bits of African black wood and I love the finish you can get. I will put some mops on the to buy list. :lol:

I love the finish. Will have to try the buffing method.

George, can I suggest slightly bigger pics? I'd say at least 300px but I prefer 450px

Just a thought

wizer":2mktkrsm said:
slightly bigger pics? I'd say at least 300px but I prefer 450px

Just a thought

Try clicking on them.

Great looking box by the way.

I'm fully aware they are clickable, but I prefer to see larger images in the post. I find these quite tiny to be legible without clicking, which I find irritating. Click, close, click, close, etc

Fair enough ! - You could always use the windows magnifier ?

I can see them fine though as i have eyeball enlarging jamjars on for PC use.

Loz

As an example. These pics measure 45mm across on my screen. I have a copy of Woodturning here and the smallest image I can find in a 'How-To' is 65mm across. The reason the magazine does not go bigger is to save on printing costs more than anything else. We do not have those limitations on the internet.

It's far better the way that George is doing it IMHO as larger pictues often end up taking up to much of the sreen and scrolling back and forward for messafges later on really is a nuisance. This has been mentioned before. Plus not everyone knows how to edit the pictures beforehand.

Pete

I agree with Tom, would make much easier reading if larger sized pics to start with, without going so large that you get the problem Pete mentions, there is an inbetween and there is absolutely no down side to it !

Great tutorial by the way George, very helpful indeed and a very nice finished piece.

Cheers, Paul :D

Bodrighy":9yk5clzd said:
It's far better the way that George is doing it IMHO as larger pictues often end up taking up to much of the sreen and scrolling back and forward for messafges later on really is a nuisance. This has been mentioned before. Plus not everyone knows how to edit the pictures beforehand.

Pete

I'm not suggesting full size. Probably double what they are now. As I said above I prefer 450px which is perfectly viewable on 800x600 screen resolution without scrolling left to right. Even 300px would be a vast improvement IMHO.

...and it really is just my opinion. The content of the post is what is most important.

Brillant series George, and a ubeautiful finish. when you say you take a core out of the base would that be the finished inside or just to access a tool to make it bigger ID. I dont know if this makes sense to you. If the box is 3" dia. what would the ID be. REgards Boysie.

I'm with Pete on this, some folks can see the pics at the thumbnail size, and the post downloads very quickly. Make them bigger and it slows everything down. I need my specs, and don't mind clicking to see the bigger photo.

IMO it should just be left up the the OP, I dislike big photo's in a post, yet like them to see detail in the work, but what the heck, life's too short. I'll live with it if I'm interested in the post. Just my 2p worth.

Stunning African black-wood box would give it shelf room
any day of the week..the finish brings out the woods natural beauty..
Another tutorial I have booked marked...
Pic should be kept to a reasonable size and as it has already been said
only takes few seconds to click to see larger image..the way cornucopia edits his posts..
Is there a tutorial on the forum for members to learn to edit their
posts/images... :?: :?: :?:

Back