Breadboard end - Advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluekingfisher

Established Member
Reaction score
I intend to make a breadboard end on a panel to adorn the top of a small wardrobe I am building.

I recently laid a solid oak floor in a back bedroom and to utilise some of the remaining boards I thought of using them to create the decorative top panel of the cabinet which will sit on top of the structural panel of 18mm hardwood ply. The oak boards are approx 100mm x 18mm with T&G edging and ends and of varying lenghts. The finished panel will measure approx 1000mm X 450mm.

How would you create the panel taking into account seasonal movement?

i was thinking of gluing the boards together, left unplaned to match the existing floor. I was thinking of routing a longer tenon onto the ends of the panel and a deeper groove on the breadboard end. However, what would be the best method for attaching the breadboard end....glue in the centre only ??

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thank you

David

I think that may be the better option to be honest.Thinking about it, my only concern with that would be creating an accurate (ish) dovetail tenon on the panel. Unlike a planed flat panel the indivual boards making up the panel will leave an undulating surface which I can forsee being difficult to run across the fence of a router table?

So, on second thoughts your initial recommendation may be the way to go. Would I need to have several tenons, as per your suggestion, or would a continious tenon suffice providing I glue at the front and use pegs in elongated drilled holes in the tenon.

Thanks again for your time.

David

Latest posts

Back