Boysies Bog Oak piece.At last!!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
Finally got round to turning the piece of Bog Oak that Eugene very kindly donated last year.I just couldn't make me mind up what to do with it :roll:
As it turned out there were lots of hidden splits in it,and chunks that just split off,and ended up with a lot smaller piece.
But i managed to turn this hollow vase out of it.
First time for me turning Bog Oak,which i found to be dusty and brittle,but managed to get a nice finish on it.
So thank you Eugene for giving me this opportunity of turning some very old Oak :D
Hope you like it.
Finished sizes-155mm tall x 50mm wide.
Finished with Danish oil and Woodwax.

irishbogoak.jpg

Well done Paul, know what you mean about the structural faults, I still have a small piece which is intended for something along the lines of my last effort, just trying to get my head around forming the base for it.

Thanks Chas :D
I suppose it might have helped if i'd have turned it when i first had it :roll:
Still it was a challenge and i'm happy that i managed to get something decent out of it.
Had to keep the tools sharp as well which quickly lost there edge.

Well done Paul, you made very good use of a very diffacult timber to turn,and that is not me that has said that, some very experienced turners have made it clear that it takes a very careful approach to get it right. I must say you did a splendid job with what you had and I'm really chuffed with the result.
As you have found out you get plenty of sharpining practice and an excuse to buy more tools :lol: :lol: Thanks Paul it puts you to the test and you have come out on top. REgards Eugene

Paul.J":3twn9kj6 said:
Thanks Chas :D
I suppose it might have helped if i'd have turned it when i first had it :roll:
Still it was a challenge and i'm happy that i managed to get something decent out of it.
Had to keep the tools sharp as well which quickly lost there edge.

Considering it's 5,000 years old I don't think a month or two made much diffference Paul :lol: You have a lovely looking piece out of it. Braver than me. I also found it brittle and so dilled it with a gouge and made a large weed pot instead of trying to hollow as I was afraid it would shatter on me.

Pete

Thanks for the comments chaps,glad you like:D
Eugene i am pleased that you feel i have made best use of it,and feel priveliged to have turned such an old piece of wood :D

Nice work,Paul - like the shape,and nice to see such an old piece of timber live on :D

Andrew

Latest posts

Back