Box foam padding

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roxie

Established Member
Reaction score
Hope you can help.

I have been asked, by our local Church, to make a box to hold a Jacobean silver challis. Ideally I would like to bed the challis in some sort of foam to protect it, but not too sure what to use. I have seen something similar used in the past. It would appear that is been sprayed in thus filling the interior of the box and "flowing around" the object. I would imagine that I would need to wrap the challis in cling film, or something similar.
Comments pleas and thanks
John

The building foam used for filling holes may be one way as long as you can trim it back and are going to cover it with a cloth /felt material. You would need to be very economic with it possibly coat on coat. Ski boots were done in a similar way at one time ie foot in boot and squirt in some foam via a little nozzle. Sawdust with some light glue may be a historical solution. An interesting question. I look forward to the correct answer. Good luck.

I think it would be worth checking with a museum to make sure that anything you use will not damage the challis over a long period of time.

xy

Thanks for the help.

A good point xy will look into that.

Not too sure about your suggestion Phil, would not get too much communion wine in it!!! The snaps were very useful.

John

Hi,

I fill the back of socket set plastic trays with foam to reinforce them.

Pete

John
I wouldn't use polyurethane PU foam. Find an inert nitrogen blown polyethelene like plastazote which wont corrode the chalice.
Or fit the box with a wooden cradle covered in felt.Research your materials so that they meet museum conservation standards - many modern materials contain acids,blowing agents and plasticizers that can have unforseen consequences
Matt

I dont know if this helps but I made this a few years ago.

I cut out the positions in MDF with a router and then flocked the insides.

BelgianPhil":11jr0i5s said:
something like this?

Alternatively, Jacobean silver responds extremely well to (hammer) after which the problem is reduced to a very thin box lined with velvet.

very funny!

I'd go for a range of frames covered in felt or flock

Aidan

Shrubby
Would your thoughts apply even if the "foam" has hardened. Based on this I am having further thoughts, perhaps cradles covered in velvet is the way forward.
John

John
Plastazote is what museums tend to spec, its not expensive. If you read the museum/conservation press you'll find PU foams are a problem.Or go with felt or velvet on a simple wooden cradle - it should look handsome (Valuable items like scientific instruments and movie camera lenses often came in fitted wooden boxes like this)
Matt

Back