Bowstrings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I never, whilst watching country ways I have just watched an elderly lady making archery bowstrings, I always thought that they were factory made but this lady made them by hand from Dacron, absolutely fascinating, she once made 100 in a day and she waxes them too, well, you live and learn.

Rich.

Yes Rich I used to make my own when I was a toxofilite, I used Dacron and Kelvar. I used to have all the equipment for making strings, and arrows but never made my own bow. I used to have a recurve bow that only cost me £18 as it was a left hander. Surprisingly I am right handed but shoot a bow left handed?? Did look recently at the prices of bows now and they have gone up a lot from those days. :roll:

I've 'helped' a friend make Bows, Arrows and Bowstrings. If my memory serves me well I think we employed the use of an eggbeater drill to twist the strands. I think we used some type of Linen but I can't be entirely sure.
We made 3 Bows. 2 of them were of the laminated recurve type. In fact I still have one of them in the workshop awaiting repair. This particular one is made of Maple and Walnut.
Fun times.

Latest posts

Back