Bowls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boysie39

Established Member
Reaction score
Three Spanish chesnut bowls.

Attachments

• 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,002
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 1,002
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 1,001
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,001
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,001
Show off, not only does the guy get hold of some wood with character, he has to turn items in triplicate just to prove the first one was not a mistake.

Lovely bit of wood there Eugene, what diameter are they ? I'm guessing 160-200mm.

sorry Chas. so excited at posting again I was pressing all the wrong buttons as usual.
they are 300x80 and as you can see chunky

regards Boysie

boysie39":pgcifvjk said:
they are 300x80 and as you can see chunky

That's even worse, big pieces of desirable woody stuff.
Nothing wrong with chunky for users, the most important thing being that you were enjoying yourself in the shed long enough to produce them.

Fellas, thanks for the nice things you have said about my pieces.
These turnings are for my own pleasure, Iwill never be able to turn the way I would like to.
But when I can turn something I look at it and get hugh satisfaction in what I have done.
Luckily I dont have to do it for a living or I would be often hungry, but family and friends seem to like it :roll:

I have checked with Glenn Lucas and he assured me that it is not interfering with his sales :lol: :lol:
I have a few platters or plates might be a better description which I will post later if I havent forgotton again.
REgards Boysie

How'd you manage to get three bowls to match??? I was thinking the only way I could get two things to match in last months competition was to buy a CNC machine!

No, no, I'm not jealous :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Very nice bowls =D> =D>

When I looked at this posting and the pics. appeared I thought they are nice they look like the ones I did only the pics. are better. :lol: .When I saw they were mine well I thought class always shows !! :roll: 8) :oops:
In answer to Greig, and Alli , The timber I bought in one of the local timber yards ,in fact I have made four more of that type for my children who pass them on as presents .I also have the makings of about 10 more which I hope to get around to soon.
Alli , Yes it is hard to get them looking the same ,but if you were to get a very large microscope and put them under it I'm sure that in time you might find something that might not match ,or maybe not , 8) 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :shock: :roll: :roll: :twisted: (homer)

boysie39":3qyqgmzw said:
Alli , Yes it is hard to get them looking the same ,but if you were to get a very large microscope and put them under it I'm sure that in time you might find something

Haha, I certainly take my hat off to you turners who can get pieces to match. You wouldn't need a microscope with the kindling I create, you could tell the difference from across the street. :lol:

Alli":v6atzaoz said:
Haha, I certainly take my hat off to you turners who can get pieces to match. You wouldn't need a microscope with the kindling I create, you could tell the difference from across the street. :lol:
Don't do yourself down, if you start with something simple and mark the blanks out as you go with guide dimensions as aiming points you will find it easier than you think.
On your first piece you blend the curves whatever between the aiming points until you are happy with the form.
Then on subsiquent pieces you concentrate on forming the curves, features or whatever one at a time to match your initial turning using the markings as boundaries.
Try some simple Platters, they don't have to be as large as these.
DSC01054.JPG

CHJ":35bdk3vv said:
Alli":35bdk3vv said:
Don't do yourself down, if you start with something simple and mark the blanks out as you go with guide dimensions as aiming points you will find it easier than you think.
On your first piece you blend the curves whatever between the aiming points until you are happy with the form.
Then on subsiquent pieces you concentrate on forming the curves, features or whatever one at a time to match your initial turning using the markings as boundaries.
Try some simple Platters, they don't have to be as large as these.
DSC01054.JPG

Thank you very much for your advise.

My problem is while doing the last cuts I often chicken out of using the gouge to cut and turn it onto the side and use it as a scrapper, which often leaves tear out. I then proceed to sand out all the tear out which normally changes the shape, sometimes by quite a lot. I know I have to build the confidence of making that last pass as a cut with a freshly sharpened gouge! and hopefully I'll stop changing the shape during sanding. thanks again.

Cheers David

Love the bowls, and great to see someone doing chunky i love doing chunky stuff but it seems frowned upon in many quarters keep up the good work.

Regards

Berns

practicing for next years '3 identical chunky bowls' challenge I see..........not that it apears you need it!

Back